campden fruit question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abb610

Reaction score
working on a blackberry wit. i have checked the site and can't find a concensus on how to use the campden tabs. from what i gather, i clean the blackberrys, puree and then add campden tabs to sanitize. how do i add the campden tabs if i am using 5lbs of blackberrys? do i add a tab/multiple tabs to the puree and then add to secondary? do i add the puree to the secondary and then add tab/s? do i puree, add water (in order to help dissolve) and then add to secondary? any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks

working on a blackberry wit. i have checked the site and can't find a concensus on how to use the campden tabs. from what i gather, i clean the blackberrys, puree and then add campden tabs to sanitize. how do i add the campden tabs if i am using 5lbs of blackberrys? do i add a tab/multiple tabs to the puree and then add to secondary? do i add the puree to the secondary and then add tab/s? do i puree, add water (in order to help dissolve) and then add to secondary? any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks

I thought campden tabs were to kill wild yeast. Didn't know they had sanitizing properties.

I thought that campden would kill everything but brewer/vintner's yeast.

Anyway I'd treat the solution at 1 crushed tablet per gallon and wait 24 hours before adding the beer.

My only other thought is that blackberry puree may be too thick for campden to work properly. But I'd bet that adding campden is better than nothing.

Best of luck! :mug:

You can do a flash pasteurization in a quart or two of water. Hold the fruit and water at ~160 degrees for 10-15 minutes prior to adding to the fermenter.

Back