Help Muntons Cerveza kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

b33risGOOD

Reaction score
I just bought this kit for a buddy. The lady at the store told me the primary needs to be at room temp like an ale. But online they call it a lager! Has anyone made this? I am not prepared to make a lager but the instructions even say ferment at room temp?

Ah, my friend, you have fallen into the marketing trap. What you have there is the hopped extract for a Mexican cerveza, but not the yeast. The yeast supplied with the kit is a dried yeast that probably attenuates more than your typical ale yeast, but does so at ale temperatures (think California Common yeast). If you ferment with the supplied yeast, you will get something close to a cerveza, but not spot on. Opt for the real liquid lager strains and build your starter at the lower recommended temperatures of 40-50 F in a 4 liter starter for a 5 gallon batch, if you have the capability of fermenting at those temperatures. Otherwise, ferment as the kit instructs and cross your fingers. I don't think you'll be disappointed either way.

Those sneaky bastards are advertising it as lager and its totally not.............. lol I hope this beer turns out well for my buddy jus finished brewing 10 gallons of it.

I would love to hear from anyone who has actually made it. Someone must have?

Back