OG from specialty grains?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heywolfie1015

Reaction score
Newb question here, but do you get any gravity points from steeping specialty grains?

As a follow up, when you steep specialty grains in an AG batch, I assume you do that in non-wort water and then add the "specialty grain tea" to the final mix?

No, you mash the specialty grains with the base malt when making an all grain beer.

Really? I thought I read somewhere (I think it was Palmer) that there is a difference and you are supposed to just steep specialties, not mash them.

Really? I thought I read somewhere (I think it was Palmer) that there is a difference and you are supposed to just steep specialties, not mash them.

I THINK that is with an extract brew. You just steep the specialty grains and then add in your extract during the boil.

No one I know that uses all grains steeps grains as well. We just throw it in the mash. After all a mash is pretty much a long steep at a controlled temp. Its easier that way.

Latest posts

Back