to secondary or to bottles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xbabyboy4021x

Reaction score
so i just bottled my first batch of beer about a week ago and started my second batch 2 days ago, its a Brewers Best kit i got from the LHBS called American Amber, my original plan was to jus leave it in the primary for about 3 weeks untill my first batch is all gone and i can reuse the bottles to put my amber in. is there such thing as leaving in the primary too long? or do u think since i have this kind of time i should switch over to a secondary fermentor after a while? or what do you guys think would be best for this type of beer

A lot of people have been using only primaries and skipping secondaries for ales. The old standard has been 1-2-3 (primary-secondary-bottle) but many now use something more like 3-3 (primary-bottle).

I've kept beer in my primary as long as 6 weeks (best beer I've made to date) and I know many have had no problems with multiple months.

If after 3 or 4 weeks you don't have enough bottles rack to secondary where it can sit for as long as you want. Secondaries work great for storage until you can do something with the beer. Sometimes I don't feel like doing a bottling or kegging right away so I rack and let it bulk age in the secondary.

Isn't almost as much time to rack to a secondary as it is to rack to a keg?

Back