Sam Adams Halloween Beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

knotquiteawake

Reaction score
So me and the GF are at TGI Friday's lastnight and I hear the guy in the booth next to us ask the waitress what the Sam Adams Octoberfest Beer is. She proceeds to explain it as "you know like their special Halloween like beer and stuff... a holiday beer with spices and things like that."
Oh, and the guy chickens out and goes with a Miller or something like that.

Last time I went to the GF's fav restaurant (Gloria's a great Salvadoran chain in Dallas), I asked the waitress what they had on tap. First she gives me a blank stare... then mumbles something... then proceeds to step back trying to crain her neck towards the bar and starts reading the tap handles to me.

Also, FYI, at Friday's for some reason on Thursday night they were having a promotion of $5 off all Jack Daniels dishes, so my steak and her chicken were only about $8 each. Thats not 1/2 bad!

A waitress that doesn't know whats on tap, is a waitress that shouldn't be there the next day.

I would have left a dismal tip because the service was not great and the on tap issue, but the GF was paying for once (gotta pull her weight sometimes...) because she finally got her first paycheck since the last school year (speech therapists get the summer off like teachers... they just don't get paid).

It's bad enough when a server doesn't know the first thing about the beer. It's worse when they start making stuff up about it to hide the fact that they don't know the first thing about it. It's even worse when the stuff they make up is complete BS.

TL

> So me and the GF are at TGI Friday's last night

Well there's your first mistake. I don't even need to read the rest of your post... ;)

> So me and the GF are at TGI Friday's last night

Well there's your first mistake. I don't even need to read the rest of your post... ;)

sometimes i don't feel like cooking... yes... thats right. I'M the cook. I really should bring some homebrews over to her place so I've got my own stash there. Although, and I don't know about the rest of y'alls SWMBOs, she's not a fan of the hops flavored kisses.

I don't expect a waitress to know everything about beers (especially if they don't even drink) especially to the detail you guys seem to expect. They are not trying to make a career out of waitressing, just trying to pay some bills while they finish school or find a new job. Hell, if beer drinking home brewers don't even know what those beers are why do you expect a waitress to know? Great if they do but I am not going to criticize them for not being able to describe every beer on tap. Maybe they should be able to name the beers they have but most places like that have what they carry on the menu or a separate menu or advertise it anyway.

So me and the GF are at TGI Friday's lastnight and I hear the guy in the booth next to us ask the waitress what the Sam Adams Octoberfest Beer is. She proceeds to explain it as "you know like their special Halloween like beer and stuff... a holiday beer with spices and things like that."

I like my Halloween beer with extra headless horsemen.

Maybe that was her opinion. I read a review where one taster said it had a distint pumpkin taste, others did not mention it. Sam Adams makes no claim it has pumpkin or spices added but this guy said he tasted pumpkin. IMO if you want to know what Sam Adams has to say about the beer, buy one and read the bottle and then make your own decision. Maybe in her opinion her description was not far off with what she said.

If you want a description of how a beer is going to taste don't ask a waitress, IMO.

This reminds me of where you see a guy asking the waiter "How's the prime rib tonight?"

"How the hell would I know, you think go back and taste test everything each night??"

I'm a fellow beer snob and I am astounded that you are not a food snob as well. TGIF? Why not just eat at a McDonalds and save yourself an hour of overly chirpy service and 200% marked up food?

If you make fun of folks for drinking BMC, why would you not make fun of people who eat at McBurgerBell?

excuse me? I can't afford $50 meals! got away with a decent tasting meal outside of the apartment for under $20! TFI Fridays isn't that bad IMO, only a slight step below Chilis.

also, no flair, and very little flair on the wall. They've been trying to make Friday's a "Classier" place to eat or something like that, failing at it IMO.

Maybe I just live in the land of the happy hour?

"Cool Story Bro" below:

Each state in our mighty Union has some odd rules about booze, well except maybe Cali and Nevada. In Oregon the puritans have made all sorts of odd rules but one benefit is that the bars all have to have a certain percentage of their sales be food. This has led to most of the bars having great menus and even better happy hours.

From 3-6 most days there is a place where you can get a great burger and a beer for seven bucks. Throw in a generous tip and you're still way under $20.

Happy hour, it's what's for dinner!

/I wouldn't expect a TGIF waitron to know what's in the food, much less what all the drinks taste like.

look. point of the story was.
Sam Adams Halloween Beer
I am and continue to be amused by that description.
I can imagine waitress thinking trying to figure out what "octoberfest" might mean... hmm October, whats in October... OH! Halloween! it must be a Halloween beer!

excuse me? I can't afford $50 meals! got away with a decent tasting meal outside of the apartment for under $20! TFI Fridays isn't that bad IMO, only a slight step below Chilis.

I realllllly don't want to beat you up over the point, but even Chilis is mass produced BS. But I'm a snob.

look. point of the story was.
Sam Adams Halloween Beer
I am and continue to be amused by that description.
I can imagine waitress thinking trying to figure out what "octoberfest" might mean... hmm October, whats in October... OH! Halloween! it must be a Halloween beer!

I thought you were anoyed about her reply, no amused and thought it funny. I do think it funny to call it their Halloween beer.

Latest posts

Back