fridge door seal gasket

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

killian

Reaction score
I just got my fridge out of storage and when I opened it I noticed a bunch of mold or mildew all around on the fridge door. I cut most of the plastic off from the door leaving just the insulation inside and a rim of plastic with the door gasket. I have been using some oxyclean solution in a spray bottle a scrubbing with a sponge to remove the gunk and it is not coming off. Should I just use the fridge as is?

I priced to replacement gaskets and they are going for $30+
I'm thinking I could buy some weather stripping & hold the door closed with a lock or something.

I just got my fridge out of storage and when I opened it I noticed a bunch of mold or mildew all around on the fridge door. I cut most of the plastic off from the door leaving just the insulation inside and a rim of plastic with the door gasket. I have been using some oxyclean solution in a spray bottle a scrubbing with a sponge to remove the gunk and it is not coming off. Should I just use the fridge as is?

I priced to replacement gaskets and they are going for $30+
I'm thinking I could buy some weather stripping & hold the door closed with a lock or something.

You could also try a mild bleach solution; I've used such to remove mold from fridge door gaskets.

Also use a dollar bill to check the seal. A dollar bill should be held fairly firmly in place when closed between the seal and the fridge to be tight enough to hold in cold air. Weather stripping works great over the existing seal to improve the sealing quality of the door; I've used it on my old kegerrator.

+1 on bleach. More effective is something like X-14, which is handy to have around for cleaning mold in shower, etc.

I used some Super Strong Magcraft magnets to help hold an old frig door closed after the seal failed. Just find the right size and epoxy them to the frame.

Back