Dry Hopping / Oxygen in Seconary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simcoe4life

Reaction score
Hi guys,

So I tried dryhopping a Celebration Clone for the first time recently. Pellets in secondary directly on beer, and voila! Lots of microscopic bits of hops floating everywhere. Left it like that for 6 days. Then, while racking to tertiary, in an effort to get the hops off of the beer, 40% of the hops found their way into the next carboy.

So just now I decided to rack AGAIN (and for the final time), with a hopbag wrapped around the racking cane in an effort to filter the transfer. In the process TONS of bubbles went into the (fourth) carboy. I caught it about a third of the way through. Took the hopbag OFF of the racking cane and wrapped the tube in the other carboy and the filtering worked great.

My question: should I be worried about the bubbles/oxygen that got into the carboy during the final racking process? I'm planning on leaving it in its current state for about a week and then kegging it (I prime my kegs - I don't force carbonate).

S4L

I would think you are going to be okay. I have had bubbles when transferring from the secondary to the bottling bucket and never have had any issues.

Where were the bubbles coming from? If they were coming out of the beer, you didn't have to worry about oxidation, as those were CO2 bubbles.

When you dry hop, and those hop bits scatter all over the place, give the carboy a gentle shake a couple times each day. The hop bits will let go of the surface and settle on the bottom. That makes them much easier to deal with when racking.

TL

>>Where were the bubbles coming from?<<

Yes they were coming from the beer, and the racking cane was completely submerged in the beer. It would make sense that the bubbles were C02 and not oxygen. Thanks for easing my paranoia. :mug:

Back