adding water after fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hoosier

Reaction score
Can water be added at the secondary before a dry hop to bring my volume where it needs to be to for the recipe. ofc i am talking about adding boiled spring or distilled water here.
Thanks,
Chris :mug:

You certainly could. How much water are we talking about? If your adding a gallon of H20 that's 20% of your total batch size which would definitely alter the character of the finished brew. With your brew being an IPA and dry hopping, if your adding .5gal I doubt if you'd notice that much. I had a problem with lower than expected batch volumes on my first few brews. Start with 5.25gal in your primary next time to account for trub loss and your good to go.:mug:

Maybe taste the beer first and see if it can benefit from a little watering down first. Sometimes I've needed (and wanted) to, other times I've tasted and thought, "Well, this beer is great, I just wish I had more of it", and left it alone.

It's nice to have 5 finished gallons, but I've been happy with 4 sometimes after dryhopping!

Great! The reason I asked was because I brewed Lakewalk last weekend and my 90 min boil turned to a 120. Also broke my hydrometer right before taking the gravity reading :p I will taste before adding. Thanks to all.
-C

Maybe taste the beer first and see if it can benefit from a little watering down first. Sometimes I've needed (and wanted) to, other times I've tasted and thought, "Well, this beer is great, I just wish I had more of it", and left it alone.

It's nice to have 5 finished gallons, but I've been happy with 4 sometimes after dryhopping!

X2
I have put too much water in the boil in the past so I can finish with 5 1/2 gallons at the end, only to have what I thought was watered down brew. I have learned it is better to end up with a little less than having to finish 5 gallons of watered down beer.

Latest posts

Back