Lots of foam - Advice?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dinokath

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey all,

I have some soda kegged in anticipation of 20 gallons of homebrew in the works. I have 5 feet of hose, 3/16" and two of the twisty things shoved into the dip tubes to reduce the pressure. I have the PSI set at 30lbs. It's a kegerator, so there are no exposed runs of warm hose.The temp is all good at 30-32F on the analog thermometer. The faucet handles are right at the level of the top of the kegs. It's one of those small 5 foot tall fridge/freezer combos. I have a 6 inch 12v fan keeping the air circulated in it too since it doesn't have a fan of its own on the inside (it's REALLY old).

Up until last night, everything was fine. It poured slow but no foam. Last night it started foaming like crazy. I figured it was empty. Nope, still about a gallon to go. It's just one of the sodas too, the other two sodas pour fine, just this one is really foamy (it's a 'Coke' syrup. The other two are 'mountain doo' and an orange soda and pour without foaming up that bad. As bad as it would from a fountain at least). The 'Coke' blows all foam though.

The line seems to have gas in it. There's a couple inches of product, then gas, then a couple inches of product, then gas and so on for the entire run of the tubing.

I disconnected the CO2 and removed all the pressure from the tank, thinking maybe it is overcarbed. Does that sound right? I am pretty sure I do NOT have a leak because I checked all the fittings with soapy water prior to installing and then again after connecting the ball valved quick disconnects.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

Dean

Hey all,

Up until last night, everything was fine. It poured slow but no foam. Last night it started foaming like crazy. I figured it was empty. Nope, still about a gallon to go. It's just one of the sodas too, the other two sodas pour fine, just this one is really foamy (it's a 'Coke' syrup. The other two are 'mountain doo' and an orange soda and pour without foaming up that bad. As bad as it would from a fountain at least). The 'Coke' blows all foam though.

Dean

I've had similar problems at two different times, caused by two different things:

1) Infection - which I'm assuming soda isn't prone to infection.
2) Recently with my beer I got the same thing - about 2 seconds of beer, 2 seconds of foam, back and forth - ultimately leaving me with a glass of foam. I'm convinced it is the swizzles, personally. I'll go down there one night and the tap is pouring great, the next night it's complete crap. We'll see when my new, longer beer lines arrive in the next day or two.

Turn the PSI down. After a few days of force carbing at 30 psi you should turn the pressure down.

Back