little help with setup?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aekdbbop

Reaction score
Ok, I am getting a shirron plate chiller, i have a keggle. I was wondering how long of hose is good for getting wort from the keggle to the shirron. I am doing this by gravity. In other words, should i have a short hose from my keggle to my shirron, then a normal size hose from the shirron to the carboy, or visa versa?

I can't give you an actual length, only advice to not make the tubing from keggle to chiller too short. I'm assuming you've got a spigot at the bottom and are not siphoning. You need to be able to get the plate chiller lower than the keggle such the the outlet hose is well below the bottom of the keggle. You've got to be able to fill the plate chiller up to get the flow going. I used to have mine at about 18" and that was OK. A little longer might have been better. Even with a spigot, it can still be a little bit of a pain to get the flow going. Now I have a pump so that point is moot.

Back