Hops Utilization In Boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

noreaster40s

Reaction score
I've been brewing for a few years now and I've always put my hop additions in a muslin bag. I mostly use pellets but last year grew some of my own hops so have started to use some of those on occasion.

My question is would I get more hops utilization if I didn't put my additions in a muslin bag? I put all additions into the same bag and let it hang into the boil. At intervals I dunk the bag in and out of the boil to get flow though it and let it drain a few seconds before letting it hang again.

I've been thinking about trying a hop blocker from Blichmann and just tossing the pellet hops into the boil. I need a way to keep them from being pumped into my plate chiller I just started using. If there is better hops utilization by tossing them in versus in a muslin bag I'm wondering how much of a difference and would I need to adjust my recipes. Thanks.

I've been brewing for a few years now and I've always put my hop additions in a muslin bag. I mostly use pellets but last year grew some of my own hops so have started to use some of those on occasion.

My question is would I get more hops utilization if I didn't put my additions in a muslin bag? I put all additions into the same bag and let it hang into the boil. At intervals I dunk the bag in and out of the boil to get flow though it and let it drain a few seconds before letting it hang again.

I've been thinking about trying a hop blocker from Blichmann and just tossing the pellet hops into the boil. I need a way to keep them from being pumped into my plate chiller I just started using. If there is better hops utilization by tossing them in versus in a muslin bag I'm wondering how much of a difference and would I need to adjust my recipes. Thanks.

This subject always launches a healthy debate and until someone methodically tests both and sends the results to a lab for IBU tests, I don't think we will ever know for sure. I've done both lots of times and I really can't tell much of a difference.

As for the bag, I like to use one when the hop schedule calls for 5 or more ounces and then I use a very large 5 gallon paint strainer bag so it has a lot of movement. When the boil is over, I put a strainer across the pot and squeeze the bajesus out of it.

I like my stainless steel spider... I've used it with my 10 gallon Blichmann as well as my keggle with great results. I might get a longer bag for use in the keggle, or make a second set of legs so that it rests over the cut opening (not above the handles). I'm not about to cut the area around the handles, at least not yet. I spent enough time getting the bastard looking good, so cutting it more [right now] is out... :drunk:

Back