Temp Control

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seeves1982

Reaction score
Do you have to get an external thermometer for lagering or are there people who successfully turn the regular refer thermostat down to acheive the temperature they desire?

Mike

I'm sure some people have been able to do it but I don't think it's ideal in any case or realistic in most cases. It would depend on what temp you are trying to hit, the thermostat for your fridge and I'm sure a thousand other variables. If you are really interested in doing it I would suggest checking out the link below. I bought a Ranco digital thermostat from them for CHEAP. This unit was recommended to me by many people around here.

RANCO ETC-111000 Microprocessor Temperature Control: RANC1 Climate Doctors

i just bought an even cheaper $35 analog control from the chi company. It works great so far.

You will need a temp controller for the fermentation portion. After ferementation is complete, I but the beer in my crash cooling fridge. I know it will keep it in the mid 30s. But I would not trust a refrigerator to keep a steady fermentation temp on it's own.

I'm sure some people have been able to do it but I don't think it's ideal in any case or realistic in most cases. It would depend on what temp you are trying to hit, the thermostat for your fridge and I'm sure a thousand other variables. If you are really interested in doing it I would suggest checking out the link below. I bought a Ranco digital thermostat from them for CHEAP. This unit was recommended to me by many people around here.

RANCO ETC-111000 Microprocessor Temperature Control: RANC1 Climate Doctors

That's a pretty good price, just toss in some electrical wires for a few bucks unless you already have some 3 prong laying around and your set.

That's a pretty good price, just toss in some electrical wires for a few bucks unless you already have some 3 prong laying around and your set.

It is a very good price. All you have to do is hook it up to an extension cord which many of us have an extra laying around somewhere. Why get an analog version with a wider temperature differential when you can get a digital that's less likely to break and more precise with a digital readout to confirm your temp. They are almost the exact same price if you look outside of homebrew shops and go to other websites. No brainer to me.

It is a very good price. All you have to do is hook it up to an extension cord which many of us have an extra laying around somewhere. Why get an analog version with a wider temperature differential when you can get a digital that's less likely to break and more precise with a digital readout to confirm your temp. They are almost the exact same price if you look outside of homebrew shops and go to other websites. No brainer to me.

You don't have to convince me, I already have one.

Back