Thermometers....I must be cursed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ewalk02

Reaction score
Can anyone explain to me what I am doing wrong? I have gone through about 5 different digital thermometers since I have started brewing and its really making me mad. These are meat thermometers that can be used up to ~350 *F. I have tried all different brands with no luck. I try to keep them from touching the bottom of my keggle when the heat is on, I don't keep them submerged for too long, I dont hit them against metal surfaces with excessive force...what could the problem be? I simply stick them in the water/wort for a few seconds to figure out the temp then take them out. I can usually get about 1 brew out of each thermometer before it breaks.

Can anyone explain to me what I am doing wrong? I have gone through about 5 different digital thermometers since I have started brewing and its really making me mad. These are meat thermometers that can be used up to ~350 *F. I have tried all different brands with no luck. I try to keep them from touching the bottom of my keggle when the heat is on, I don't keep them submerged for too long, I dont hit them against metal surfaces with excessive force...what could the problem be? I simply stick them in the water/wort for a few seconds to figure out the temp then take them out. I can usually get about 1 brew out of each thermometer before it breaks.

if you submerge the probe to the cord water gets into the temp sensor and they fail. Try baking the probe and cord in the oven to dry out. Or just do what a lot of us do and water proof the cable

water proofing

Doh damn slow typing skills ... Ya what Ollllll0 said

I just fried my Wal-Mart Special by getting the (supposedly waterproof & Dishwasher safe) probe wet. Since its a plastic line, I doubt it would hold up in the oven trick. I already pitched it anyways. To top it off I broke my manual Dial Thermo just a few minutes later when it rolled off my bench. I'll be ordering one of these next. Pricey, but worth it considering I just wasted $30 worth of "cheap" Thermos.

I have a waterproof thermometer from target. It doesn't have the length of the ones with the cord on them, but I don't need it. I have one pot without a thermometer and I just use it for sparge water.

Back