Drunken pumpkin ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

usmcruz

Reaction score
I made a pumpkin ale and the alcohol notes seem to overwhelm the spices. I use brewsmith and it has a dilution tool. Has anybody ever diluted with water, and if so does it thin the body of the beer?

Water has a SG of 1.000 so it will definitely thin the body of the beer. Also, I would imagine you would dilute the flavor of the spices and not just the alcoholic flavors if you add water which won't really net you anything. Perhaps some aging will mellow it to a more agreeable flavor.

Water will thin the body, but you can add malto-dextrin to increase it and more spices if necessary. A little lactose can help any spiced ale. It gives the taste buds something to latch on to and that increases the perception of the spice aromas.

Both of you have some good points, so im going to split the batch and try both suggestions. Make for a good experiment. thanks

Good, I like experiments.

Off the top of my head, if the alcohol is overwhelming I would cut it with something else.

I had it happen with a Bock. When I poured it into a glass I just mixed 3 parts Bock to 1 part Dr. Pepper. I called it Dr. P. Bock! Tastes great now.:D

With your Pumpkin, I would be inclined to use Sprite.

In Germany, they have a beer-limo (like our Sprite) combination they call a "radler". It's very refreshing. This idea is along the same line.

Let us know how your experiments go.:D

Back