I like this time at night on HBT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The sugar syrup and other ingredients add volume, I just stuck it in a keg and filled it until it was at ~5 gallons. Oh, and the lactose needs to be added in to the sugar syrup at the end until it becomes clear. Lactose is harder to dissolve so it really needs the heat. It was a half OUNCE of almond extract, store bought, McCormick brand. A half cup would knock your socks off, this amount just kind of plays on the vanilla flavor. Nobody noticed it until I pointed it out.

Thanks! I'm going to make this as soon as I have an empty keg. My daughter will love it!

One last question... When you make vanilla extract are you making a tincture with alcohol like vodka or something, or is it a water based extract?

Stauffbier said:
Thanks! I'm going to make this as soon as I have an empty keg. My daughter will love it!

One last question... When you make vanilla extract are you making a tincture with alcohol like vodka or something, or is it a water based extract?

I used 8 or 10 Tahitian vanilla beans, halved and cut into pieces and put with a 1/5th of Myers dark rum for some months, shook weekly. Stuff is amazing, I'll never buy extract again. The beans can be had from a well known seller on eBay for a fraction of the cost of anything you'd buy retail. I don't think water would be safe for making extract, I think it could easily mold or not extract properly.

Thanks bb you jerk, your advice caused me to just spend over $2000 on stuff for a ferm chamber and a brewery control panel.

My eHERMS brewery is going to be bling as hell, but I may be in a bit over my head on the electronics stuff.

With all the Blichmann and commercial stuff I'm probably into it around 7 grand. Wouldn't be surprised if I ended up near 10, though most of the expensive stuff is out of the way.

I should probably start a build thread soon...

I used 8 or 10 Tahitian vanilla beans, halved and cut into pieces and put with a 1/5th of Myers dark rum for some months, shook weekly. Stuff is amazing, I'll never buy extract again. The beans can be had from a well known seller on eBay for a fraction of the cost of anything you'd buy retail. I don't think water would be safe for making extract, I think it could easily mold or not extract properly.

That sounds great! Thanks again!

emjay said:
Thanks bb you jerk, your advice caused me to just spend over $2000 on stuff for a ferm chamber and a brewery control panel.

My eHERMS brewery is going to be bling as hell, but I may be in a bit over my head on the electronics stuff.

Hey, don't blame me Charlie.. I am the last person who is going to advocate a ferm chamber as an essential. As far as the rest of it, if you are going to go bling you may as well go bling bling. Don't forget the stainless steel range hood and ventilation fan while you have the credit card out ;)

Stauffbier said:
That sounds great! Thanks again!

No problem bro. This is the seller
http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=290678146987

And I can vouch that these beans are fat and juicy, superior to anything you can normally buy at a store. 30 beans for $10 is a steal. Also, if you buy enough, they throw in some packs of beans for free. Pretty cool.

Hey, don't blame me Charlie.. I am the last person who is going to advocate a ferm chamber as an essential. As far as the rest of it, if you are going to go bling you may as well go bling bling. Don't forget the stainless steel range hood and ventilation fan while you have the credit card out ;)

Not that it needs to cost more than a temp controller and an old fridge, but I can't think of much that is more important than controlling fermentation temperature.

LG, I was just trying to be funny by changing my avatar to black and white. Didn't mean for you to go to trouble, however those are awesome! Thank you.

And then there were four
Likely there are more
I'd put it at five or six
Maybe more In the mix
TxBrew, I truly believe was the first one
Of future classic avatars to come

More bad, Dan rhyme. ; )

LG, I was just trying to be funny by changing my avatar to black and white. Didn't mean for you to go to trouble, however those are awesome! Thank you.
I know, that's why I did it. :)
It's obviously something he enjoys, so I doubt there was much trouble involved :mug:
I enjoy dorking around with graphics once in a while. It's one of my many hobbies. I almost made the mistake of trying to do it professionally. When I actually have to do it, I don't enjoy it

Ha, the guy selling the vanilla beans should pay you for advertising for him. I'm going to get some here in a minute too.

Hi everybody

Today. Is my day to relax. Last thing I can do because im not equipped for at this moment, is brew.

I read with great Interest your brewing experiments and accomplishments; you guys share so many good Ideas and give me hope for future days. Forgive me please for not adding something useful to this thread, all I seem to be able to do is write bad poetry. Im okay with that. ; )

Today is my day to chill. Dont know why but having a Star Wars movie marathon! Not to sure what order to watch them. I have so far watched and In this order: VI, V, IV, III , II

Cheers!

I picked up 5 22x20" round pots, and 15 yards of potting soil today. I also got a 100" roll of commercial landscaping fabric. That's really for something else though. My mother has been having trouble bending over to week the garden beds. These should be tall enough that won't be an issue. The original plan was to put styrofoam in the bottom, cover that with landscaping fabric, and fill the top with soil.

Instead, I'm going to drill holes in the bottom of the pots. Put landscaping fabric in the bottom, and fill them with potting soil. My Mom started talking about putting root crops in them. That's fine, but there is a 2" decorative collar on the top and root crops really need 18" of soil. I'll probably need some more potting soil, but that's better then having to setup the pots again.

TNGabe said:
Not that it needs to cost more than a temp controller and an old fridge, but I can't think of much that is more important than controlling fermentation temperature.
I can't either. That's why I bought a deep ice chest and a couple of water bottles for all of my temperature control needs ;) I can ferment lagers in the summertime and it holds it easily to within 2 degrees.
Stauffbier said:
Awesome! I just ordered some. Can I freeze the remainder of the beans that don't go in to the extract?
I think you probably could, but you may want to reseal them again even if its just holding the edge of the bag between two flat things and running a lighter across the seam. They seem to dry out really quickly, I think it's alcohol that keeps them moist.
Leadgolem said:
Ha, the guy selling the vanilla beans should pay you for advertising for him. I'm going to get some here in a minute too.
Look at all that he carries, I think he sells some variety packs of different grades and origins.
Dan said:
Hi everybody

Today. Is my day to relax. Last thing I can do because im not equipped for at this moment, is brew.
Good to hear it brother, you can't have all work and no play.

Don't forget the stainless steel range hood and ventilation fan while you have the credit card out ;)

Noob that's the first thing I did, ages ago. With a stainless commercial 2-compartment pot-washing sink w/ pre-rinse arm and add on nozzle. :D

All that was another 2 Gs :eek:

emjay said:
Noob that's the first thing I did, ages ago. With a stainless commercial 2-compartment pot-washing sink w/ pre-rinse arm and add on nozzle. :D

All that was another 2 Gs :eek:

Damn, and all that in a 600 sq ft cottage.. At least when you need to keep the house warm in the winter you can just brew. ;)

Damn, and all that in a 600 sq ft cottage.. At least when you need to keep the house warm in the winter you can just brew. ;)

600 Sq ft? You're thinking of Juan. My place is fairly large, though I do have a roommate. All of this is going in a single room in the basement though, along with my PC and home theater.

emjay said:
600 Sq ft? You're thinking of Juan. My place is fairly large, though I do have a roommate. All of this is going in a single room in the basement though, along with my PC and home theater.

Frikkin childless day trader tycoon... :mad:

I'm doing something that goes against my instincts as a brewer. I'm leaving hard apple cider out on my kitchen counter without a lid. I'm even hoping it will get a fruit fly in it...

Hmm. I need to head to the debate threads. To much I want to talk about.

This thread isn't the place, thank goodness.

Cheers, goodnight wonderful peoples!

Hmm. I need to head to the debate threads. To much I want to talk about.

This thread isn't the place, thank goodness.

Cheers, goodnight wonderful peoples!
Goodnight Dan. I don't personally enjoy debate.

I harvested the yeast from the ginger cider I'm going to try to turn into vinegar. It's montrachet, and the cleanest yeast I've ever seen. Pure yeast butter in the bottom of the bucket.

I'm trying the other new chip flavor I got at the same time as the chicken and waffles. It's cheesy garlic bread. Now this is a good flavor for chips. :)

It's easy to afford stuff when you have no kids to support!

I DID daytrade up until 2007 when I was in B-school for finance until I really grasped what a sucker's game it is for people who aren't insiders. I've been much more successful buying (or shorting) stocks fairly infrequently when I feel that I have a bit of expertise giving me an edge over the majority of potential players. Recognizing the potential of the very first iPhone when it was only first announced and nobody yet had experience with it, for instance. And then holding (most of it) long term until I no longer felt secure in it, eg when Jobs died.

It's way less work than daytrading, WAY less stressful, and WAY-ER LESS-ER bull****. And I do better. Only way I'd ever do anything like that again would be if I were an insider in a major industry.

Goodnight Dan. I don't personally enjoy debate.

Arg matey. Not me either.

..No, that's a lie ; )

Who said?

Around survivors, a perimeter create.
Yoda, Star Wars Episode Two. Near the end. Addressing a clone. In the stadium thing.

EDIT: Or rather, the survivors where in the stadium. He was in one of those helicopterish things.

Okay, I'm up to late tonight. Had some beer. It wasn't homebrew unfortunately.
Ive found a new love. Red Delicious apples! And bananas.

An apple a day keeps the doctor away. Im trying to live that theory along with a good cardiovasculat work out daily.

I will fail this occasionaly, it's a goal.

Truly, goodnight now from me.

I knew another autistic boy who also was able to recall any detail from virtually any movie. Equally impressive.
I know this nut case whose already spent 7k buying stuff for an electric brew setup and he hasn't even started actually building it yet.:mug:

Interesting, isn't vanilla extract usually made with a neutral spirit like vodka? How dominant is the vanilla flavor in rum?

I've got some Sailor Jerry spiced rum on hand now. I've also got a bottle of everclear I usually use for making extracts.... You know, that really makes me wonder how it would come out with other flavored spirits. Like say whiskey. I just might have to pick a few things up once I get the beans and do several side by side. :)

Man what a month and I bet it has been that long since I was here:( I just wish people would plan ahead and buy their wood all summer long instead of the last bit of summer. But I think I got a couple of days off now and will brew again. I found out that one should not brew if working to many hours since little things like priming sugar get forgot

Leadgolem said:
Interesting, isn't vanilla extract usually made with a neutral spirit like vodka? How dominant is the vanilla flavor in rum?

I've got some Sailor Jerry spiced rum on hand now. I've also got a bottle of everclear I usually use for making extracts.... You know, that really makes me wonder how it would come out with other flavored spirits. Like say whiskey. I just might have to pick a few things up once I get the beans and do several side by side. :)

The flavor of the dark rum compliments it nicely I thought, but you're correct, it's usually a flavorless spirit used.

The flavor of the dark rum compliments it nicely I thought, but you're correct, it's usually a flavorless spirit used.

Vodka. If you think you're going to use it in something like vanilla ice cream (!), I wouldn't use rum or anything else.

2012-12-28-at-211529-57791.jpg

img_6545-57814.jpg

Actually, I think I'd like the Rum/Vanilla mixture in vanilla ice cream. I think I'm going to go for the best of both worlds and make extract from vodka and rum.

BB, after a few months did you strain out the vanilla beans, or just leave them in there?

Back