O-rings

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drunde77

Reaction score
So, I have a fermenting bucket with a lid with no o-ring. I saw somewhere online where you can get these, however, I cannot find them. Does anyone know where I can get one of these online?

So, I have a fermenting bucket with a lid with no o-ring. I saw somewhere online where you can get these, however, I cannot find them. Does anyone know where I can get one of these online?

Are you talking about the little grommet that fits into a hole drilled in the top of the lid for the air lock, or the large oring that fits around the circumference of the lid that seals it to the bucket?

I guess I should have been more specific. I am looking for the ring that seals the lid to the actual bucket.

I guess I should have been more specific. I am looking for the ring that seals the lid to the actual bucket.

try homebrewheaven.com. i got a 'deluxe fermenter' bucket from them. the lid's great, has an o ring, locks like a paint bucket lid, always seals up.

check ^these guys out. i'm not affiliated at all, but last time i ordered a kit from them (a few months ago), they still had the same buckets that i bought from them before.

I guess this raises another question. Do I even need this ring? I would assume that the ring is to seal in the air so that it does not leak out and let oxygen in.

you don't need it, per se, your beer will be fine if your lid doesn't seal. i find it's nice to have a sealed lid when using a bucket since you can't really see inside. i like to see the fermentation kick off, thus the reason i use glass carboys most of the time. using a bucket with a sealed lid ensures the airlock will be the path the co2 takes out of the vessel, that way you can see when things get going.

Back