Type of water used...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cregar

Reaction score
I was wondering what type of water does everyone use... I have been using store bought drinking water. Does the drinking water have all the mineral and stuff taken out?

What do you suggest as the best water to use?

Thanks

Lil' Sparky said:
If you use bottled water, you need to use spring water, not distilled or RO.

Is your water bad in Phoenix?

Not something I want to drink out of the faucet :)

So what is the problem with RO water?
We have an under the counter RO filter and I really prefer the taste of that water over our tap water or most bottled water.
Our tap water isn't bad (Cleveland city water from Lake Erie) but it is chlorinated and we have a water softener.
So what is everyones recommendation for me to use?
Is RO water OK for an extract brew?
Can I use my tap water for PM/AG brewing?
Should I buy water for brewing?
Or should I just use my tap with some adjustments?

Thanks
Craig

CBBaron said:
So what is the problem with RO water?
We have an under the counter RO filter and I really prefer the taste of that water over our tap water or most bottled water.
Our tap water isn't bad (Cleveland city water from Lake Erie) but it is chlorinated and we have a water softener.
So what is everyones recommendation for me to use?
Is RO water OK for an extract brew?
Can I use my tap water for PM/AG brewing?
Should I buy water for brewing?
Or should I just use my tap with some adjustments?

Thanks
Craig

Well, RO water is pretty much devoid of most dissolved minerals. If you're brewing extract, this should be a problem according to Palmer's book since the extract has all the goodies your yeast needs. If you're mashing in any way (PM or AG) you're going to need to adjust the water chemistry. I personally brew with about 75%-80% RO water and the rest from my tap. I get ground water here so it's a bit too hard for straight brewing, plus it's not tasty. I figure this gives me good tasting water with just a little extra minerals...

From what I've read, RO or distilled water isn't suitable because some of the minerals (e.g. calcium & magnesium) are needed when brewing and to help the yeast.

I've also heard John Palmer say that water softeners are a bad idea if you're mashing because it throws off the acidity/alkalinity of the water and the pH of the mash will be all wrong. If you're extract brewing, it may be fine. A water softener may add unwanted flavors to your beer, though.

Some good reading:
http://www.howtobrew.com/section1/chapter4-1.html
http://***********/mrwizard/746.html
http://***********/mrwizard/907.html

cool... thanks for the advice.

BTW any brewers in Phoenix use your tap water or store bought water?

Back