Fermentation chamber suggestions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

julian81

Reaction score
So I just finished brewing my first AG batch yesterday, and had a few issues. I managed to "fix" it and get things back on track but I'm finding it very challenging to keep the temperature consistent during fermentation. I woke up this morning and the fermometer read 76, almost 77-78F. I immediately picked up the 6gal carboy (filled to 5 gal) and carefully carried it downstairs into the garage where I placed it on a thick towel on my work bench, wrapped it in thick bubble wrap and covered with a tshirt. It's around 69-70 now, although I hope it doesn't drop much more.

Needless to say, I want a fermentation chamber before I perform my next brew. Given cost and space constraint, I think I'm fine with a simple mini fridge/wine fridge that can at least hold a 6 gal carboy with cap/airlock/blowoff and a blowoff bucket.

I've read some stuff about making sure to get a compressor and not a thermoelectric wine cooler since the thermoelectric ones have a hard time cooling in higher ambient temps. I'd like something that mimics an actual fridge, albeit on a smaller scale. I found a Holiday FRW656 115 V 160 Hz locking fridge on craigslist for $150, and wondering if this will do the trick.

I found the manual online http://www.curtisint.com/html/custservice/manuals/HOL_FRW656_ENSP.PDF

And it lists a compressor so it should be what I'm looking for.

As for heating, I was thinking of rigging up a ceramic reptile bulb/lamp based on other suggestions in this forum and hooking the whole thing up to a dual stage Ranco temp controller.

What do you guys think? Does this seem like a good setup? Should I go with an actual mini fridge instead of wine fridge (like a Haier or Sanyo?)

Note: I'm not looking to put much construction effort into building an enclosure. For one I don't have the tools, and 2...I prefer buying something that's made professionally and not be me and can be tweaked/modified.

Thanks guys, love this forum and the feedback I've been getting since I joined.

Cheers,
Julian

One thing you get with a mini fridge or small freezer and not a wine fridge is the ability to cold crash. I'd look for something that can go down to at least 40*.

Nice man! Is the A419 a dual stage or single stage?

How do you override the fridges thermostat?

It is single stage so if I need to keep temps a little warmer I just leave a lamp w/ a low wattage bulb on inside the fridge. I would probably go w/ a dual stage Ranco, but my FIL gave me the Johnson, so free is :rockin:

You know, the override part is probably a good point...I was thinking that the Johnson would just keep the fridge on longer than the built in t-stat's lower limit of 44*F, but it would probably just turn the compressor off itself even though the power stays on. Meh, it gets to 44*ish!!! I'm happy and I really brew ales way more than lagers. And I see no need to cold crash when I leave my beer in the primary for 3-4 weeks. It's clear and I can vaccuum the beer off the cake it is so packed!!!!

What about a chest freezer? Thoughts on those? They seem to be more abundant on craigslist, a lot cheaper, and offer more capacity. The only thing is, lifting a heavy carboy in and out...Then again I could fit more than 1 carboy in there most likely...what are the concerns with a chest freezer over a fridge?

What about a chest freezer? Thoughts on those? They seem to be more abundant on craigslist, a lot cheaper, and offer more capacity. The only thing is, lifting a heavy carboy in and out...Then again I could fit more than 1 carboy in there most likely...what are the concerns with a chest freezer over a fridge?

With a controller, they are WAY more efficient than a fridge and WAY more space. If I hadn't scored my stuff so cheap, I woulda went with the freezer just for the space to do multiple brews, especially since I primary for 3-4 weeks. I have to move the older one to a utility bucket swamp cooler set up to do multiple batches at once. And you can turn it into a keezer very easily if/ when you are decide to start kegging :rockin:

With a controller, they are WAY more efficient than a fridge and WAY more space. If I hadn't scored my stuff so cheap, I woulda went with the freezer just for the space to do multiple brews, especially since I primary for 3-4 weeks. I have to move the older one to a utility bucket swamp cooler set up to do multiple batches at once. And you can turn it into a keezer very easily if/ when you are decide to start kegging :rockin:

Sweet. So I found one on craigslist for $100, that goes for $270 retail (http://www.lowes.com/pd_90724-2251-.../pl__0__s?Ntt=chest+freezer&state=R#prod-tabs) There's even a review in there by someone using it as a fermentation chamber, with nothing but praise for it.

Unfortunately the one on craigslist is a bit far away...and I would need to take a ferry to get it...pita.

Quick question regarding the temperature controller. Do you have to do any wiring or do you simply plug the freezer into the temp controller outlet? Is it that easy?

If you buy it prewired, it's that easy. They cut an extension cord in half and wire it in (not that difficult to do yourself BTW) and you plug one side into the wall and your freezer/ fridge into the other, set the temps and differential, and you are done. Mine holds dead on w/ in 1*+/-

If you buy it prewired, it's that easy. They cut an extension cord in half and wire it in (not that difficult to do yourself BTW) and you plug one side into the wall and your freezer/ fridge into the other, set the temps and differential, and you are done. Mine holds dead on w/ in 1*+/-

So does the temp controller shut off power to the freezer/fridge completely then when it reaches the programmed set point? Wouldn't this mean that the compressor would take longer to power back up and recool later on?

It does turn power off/ on completely. Compressors cycle and don't need to "warm up" or "cool down." Controllers like the Johnson have an anti short cycle feature that protects the compressor. By using the freezer at fridge temps, you cycle the compressor WAY less frequently than when using it as a freezer.

Ah, ok I think I understand. Looks like the Ranco Dual Stage pre-wired is the best bet with a chest freezer, and ceramic bulb.

Just bought a brand new 7 Cubic Foot GE Freezer from Sam's Club for $189. Couldn't wait any longer.............

bschoenb: Will 7cf be enough for 2 carboys w/airlock ? Did you measure before hand? What kind of temp controller and heating solution are you thinking of going with?

I'm not using Glass Carboys (too hard to handle on this ole body); I use 6 1/2 Buckets for my fermentation. The Freezer will hold two buckets fine; although tight they both fit w/plenty of room for airlocks.

Heating is really not an issue for me; it's cooling so I will be using the Johnson 419 Digital

I'm about to order the Ranco dual stage controller, but was wondering how to wire in a ceramic bulb or heater INTO the chest freezer I just bought (https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/chest-freezer-fermentation-chamber-2-carboys-223820/) What do you guys do? Do you just drape a cord under the lid seal and into the freezer or do you actually drill a hole and mount it inside somehow? Interested to hear what the best way to do this is. I don't mind drilling a hole, as long as I don't drill into something that could damage the freezer.

Thanks,
Julian

Latest posts

Back