Mash Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pnh2atl

Reaction score
I'm going to make a Scwartz Beer and the mash directions say: Step mash with a 20 minute rest at 122 °F (50 °C), a 30 minute rest at 148 °F (64 °C), a 30 minute rest at 162 °F (72 °C) and mash out to 169 °F (76 °C).

Can someone kind of step through this with me. How much water do I add initially (10# grain bill). Do I just add more water to get the temp up is so how much. Ive done 6-7 AG brews so far but I've always just added water once then sparge.

Thanks for the help.

Nick

It's highly unlikely that you need the step at 122. The 162 rest is also of questionable value, AFAIAC. If it was me, I'd do a 60-90 min. mash at 148 and the mashout.

If I was to do a mash like this how much water would I start with? I normally use about 1.25 qts/#. Would I just determine how much water and what temp is required to get me up to the next temp? I have Beer Smith so I can figure out the temps I just wondered what the process is.

I am going to assume you are using a cooler... you will probably want to start @ 122F at around 1 qt/# just because you are going to have to add quite a bit of water to get through 2 step-infusions.

Definitely run the numbers to see how much it will take to get you up, but my guess it you will need to start with a thick mash if you want to end with one that isn't ridiculously thin.

Yeah, just use beersmith to figure the amount of boiling water needed to get to your next temp an you will be good to go.

edit: I ran it thru quickly on the rackers calculator it looks like you will need roughly 4 quarts to get to 148 and then another 4.7 to get up to 162 after that (assuming I did that right). that is a bit over 2 gallons of water.... bumping you up to ~1.9 qt per pounds..

If I was to do a mash like this how much water would I start with? I normally use about 1.25 qts/#. Would I just determine how much water and what temp is required to get me up to the next temp? I have Beer Smith so I can figure out the temps I just wondered what the process is.

I have never found any calculator that will accurately figure water temps and amounts for a step mash. On the rare occasions that I do one, I just stir in boiling water til I hit my temp.

Back