How many FG points does priming sugar generally add?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

browntrout

Reaction score
Just bottled my first (an American Pale Ale). I forgot to take a FG reading prior to transfering into the bottling bucket and adding the priming sugar. So when I did check it obviously it was higher than at the last check 2 days before (went from 1.012 to 1.014). I'm just wondering if .002 points is a normal amount to go up when the priming sugar is added. Guess it doesn't really matter at this point but it seemed like a big jump.

Though i never did the 3 readings for 3 days in a row thing it did sit in the primary for three weeks and reached the expected FG range when it was 1.012 so now i'm hoping it was done.

It was done fermenting right? Do i need to worry about bottle bombs? I was unable to take an OG due to a broken hydrometer.

I believe that your typical 3/4 cup of priming sugar for a 5 gallon batch will add 0.25% ABV to you brew...

since you were at 1.012 I wouldn't worry too much. The "jump" to 1.014 could be so many things...

you're good - NOW, just let it sit for 3 weeks @ 70F to condition (or sneak a bottle or two early to taste like I do...)

Does it really need to sit at 70. My house is more like 63-64. Do i need to put a heater in the closet with the bottled beer or will it carb ok at this lower temperature?

And thanks for the quick responses.

It will carb at 64 - it just might take a week or so longer -- put a blanket or something over it.

Or do what I do - ignore everyone's advice and drink it when you want! :mug:

It will carb fine in the mid 60s, just take a little longer. However, it will generally be smoother and more clear by conditioning at a lower temp. What I've done is condition at about 68 for a few weeks, then cold condition in the fridge for 3-5 days and it's worked quite well.

It will carb at 64 - it just might take a week or so longer -- put a blanket or something over it.

Or do what I do - ignore everyone's advice and drink it when you want! :mug:

Shame on you! Ignore everyones advice! Hath you noobs not learned that drinking green beer = little to NO beer when it REALLY gets good?

Yes, the wait is the hardest part but you will be rewarded SO MUCH MORE to just ignore your conditioning beers and start on another brew. My first batch was so tasty when it was green I drank more than half of them. Now that they are at their '3 week rule' they are AWESOME. It sucks though because I am down to only a few bottles and I was planning on giving them as gifts to some people. Only thing is, I want to drink them too and say screw giving them as gifts that I promised!!

Oh the agony!!! (Get a pipeline!)
-Me

Just bottled my First Brew. Took a reading after I added the priming sugar and it jumped up from 1.014 (reading after 1 week in primary) to 1.016 (after 3 weeks in primary + priming sugar). Good to know I didn't mess things up.

Back