Force Carbonating / Green Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evandam

Reaction score
I brewed the Northern Brewers Nut Brown Ale Extract kit. Spent about 9 days in primary and 2 weeks in secondary before going into the keg at 40deg and about 13psi. It has been that way for 4 or 5 days and it is not bad, but seems a bit bitter and not a sweet as I would like (certainly drinkable).

This is my 3rd batch and first in a keg and my other 2 where years ago.

My questions:
- At 40deg and under pressure in a keg will it get any better with time? (I'm thinking probably not since I don't think the yeast if there is any left will work at 40deg)

- My next batch (Cream Ale in primary right now) would I be better off going from secondary to the keg, flushing it with Co2 and putting 20lbs or so on it and giving it a few more weeks at room temp before moving it to the fridge?

- Or should I just leave it in secondary for 4 or 5 weeks rather than the 2.

evandam said:
I brewed the Northern Brewers Nut Brown Ale Extract kit. Spent about 9 days in primary and 2 weeks in secondary before going into the keg at 40deg and about 13psi. It has been that way for 4 or 5 days and it is not bad, but seems a bit bitter and not a sweet as I would like (certainly drinkable).

This is my 3rd batch and first in a keg and my other 2 where years ago.

My questions:
- At 40deg and under pressure in a keg will it get any better with time? (I'm thinking probably not since I don't think the yeast if there is any left will work at 40deg)

- My next batch (Cream Ale in primary right now) would I be better off going from secondary to the keg, flushing it with Co2 and putting 20lbs or so on it and giving it a few more weeks at room temp before moving it to the fridge?

- Or should I just leave it in secondary for 4 or 5 weeks rather than the 2.
The kegged beer should get better with age. The ones that I put in my kegerator certainly were better at 6 weeks than at 4 weeks so be patient. I will say that I don't think it will sweeten up during this time but the flavors mellow just like a big bottle.

I am not a big secondary brewer at this time. I leave them in the primary for 3 weeks and carefully rack to the keg. I view the keg as a secondary and age them in this manner although I have rushed the first few batches. My view is that 6 weeks is the start of optimum taste and at 8 weeks they are generally pretty darn good. :)

Blender said:
The kegged beer should get better with age. The ones that I put in my kegerator certainly were better at 6 weeks than at 4 weeks so be patient. I will say that I don't think it will sweeten up during this time but the flavors mellow just like a big bottle.

I am not a big secondary brewer at this time. I leave them in the primary for 3 weeks and carefully rack to the keg. I view the keg as a secondary and age them in this manner although I have rushed the first few batches. My view is that 6 weeks is the start of optimum taste and at 8 weeks they are generally pretty darn good. :)

I just racked to my first keg last night. from the primary. One thing I was wondering-do you get a big trub milkshake with your first couple pulls?

Seems like all that crap will settle out just like it does in a secondary.

blacklab said:
I just racked to my first keg last night. from the primary. One thing I was wondering-do you get a big trub milkshake with your first couple pulls?

Seems like all that crap will settle out just like it does in a secondary.
I have heard others say that happens to them but mine have been really clear from the start. When I cleaned the kegs there was a nice layer of trub on the bottom too.

I would plan on having some yeasty/trubby couple of initial pours but I don't think it would be any less of a loss than what you would leave behind transfering to secondary. Try it both ways and see what works best for you.

Im still a beginner, but with my first 3 kegged beers I left them at 10 psi and to me they werent really fully ready to drink until aging 3 weeks. I mean of course I drank a few pints while it was still green to test it out, but the thing is they have still been green until 3 weeks hooked up to the CO2 and in the fridge.
Thats kind of why I dont understand people quickly force carbonating, the beer will still be green so why not just be patient and leave it at 10 psi or so for a while?

Back