homw much hotside aeration is too much?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nolabrew85

Reaction score
I cannot recirculate the mash or without at least a few inches of foam forming in the tube at first. sometimes I can successfully drain it before it it gets back in the pot, but sometimes the pump is too quick. I prime the pump and everything, but still get this. So first, is this little bit of aeration something that will ruin the beer or will it even be noticeable? and Second, how do stop from this happening without putting a bleeder on the pump--a have a valve on the outlet now and the outlet faces up and the inlet down and the pump is about 14 inches below the kettle and I prime and make sure air escapes before shutting the valve and turning the pump on and then opening the valve. thanks!

Hot side aeration (while it can and will occur to homebrewers, it's on such a small scale that it's mostly a null issue).

Breweries need to worry about it more so than us because to sparge and drain their mash tun into the brew kettle it takes a few hours, and then again draining the kettle into the whirlpool and from the whirlpool to knockout. At that point you're talking about a few bbls of hot wort being exposed to oxygen for a few hours rather than the hour of sparging and before the boil (boiling scrubs most of the oxygen out). And then the half hour it takes us to cool out wort down after the boil (at which point we want oxygen in the wort).

Back