question for people who know about lager yeast...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fudd

Reaction score
I am making a batch of pale ale and a batch of porter tomorrow and at the store I was in a hurry and for some reason thought I was making a steam beer and a porter...Now I have lager yeast for this recipe:

6lbs light new zealand LME
1 lbs light DME
12oz crushed caramunich 1 (was supposed to get amber crystal malt but they were out)
first:1.25 oz fuggle
second:1.5 oz fuggle
aromatic: .5 oz golding

But with a dry lager yeast instead of ale yeast. Is there anything I need to change to make this work? How will the difference in yeast effect the beer?
I just got a mini-fridge, so let me know if you think I should just lager it all the way.

Any input would be great.

1) what kind of lager yeast was it. if it was san francisco lager yeast (a la steam beer) then ferment it at an ale temp.
2) steam beers are nicely hoppd like a pale ale, although usually with american hops. you'll have something like an english steam going on but it will be good.
3) if its not a lager yeast that can handle ale temps then lager it, assuming your mini frig isnt too cold.
4) if you use a regular old lager yeast at hi temps it will produce a whole lot of weird esters, and might be kind of gross
5) if you lager it you'll just have some highly hopped european style lager. it will probably be real good.

I don't recall ever seeing anything other than a classic lager yeast in dried form so just find a spot in the house around 55 degrees and use that for the primary fermentation, then rack to secondary and place in the fridge for a couple months. If you live in the desert, use the fridge for both primary and secondary. You will just have to extend the primary time frame to a couple weeks. If you want a quicker turnaround, find some ale yeast but with basic lager techniques you will still produce a quality product.

drengel said:
4) if you use a regular old lager yeast at hi temps it will produce a whole lot of weird esters, and might be kind of gross

Most commercial cream ales made today actually use lager yeast fermented at room temperature. Not gross in my book!

i've never heard of that. the cream ales ive had use ale yeast. if some do use lager yeast, its probably a strain that can handle ale temps a bit better, the only one i know of that can do that, and is available to the homebrewer is san fran lager yeast. steam beers are the only beers i know of that use lager yeast at ale temps, therer are other sorts of hybrids, like kolsch or alt bier, but my advice to fudd would be to use the dry yeast at lager temps. my experience with plain ol' lager yeast at 64 degrees was something of a nightmare, i couldnt drink one.

I brewed a munich helles a couple of months ago w/ a lager yeast at ~60 Deg. I did get some flavors reminicent of a steam beer, but they were very mild and gave the beer an nice fruity note. I wold say try it and then try it again w/ an ale yeast. It would be a interesting experiment that you can drink.

Back