tail piece

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Billybrewer09

Reaction score
Im finishing up my keezer build, thanks to everyone on HBT that posted their builds.
I'll be installing my taps today. My question is about the rubber gasket for the tail piece. Does it go between the shank and tail piece or does it go inside the nut like a water hose gasket.
i know this may seem obvious to some but i want to get this right so i dont have to take it apart.
Thanks in advance.

Both...the gasket should be between the shank and tail piece. Sticking it in the nut against the tail piece is the same thing and it looks like a water hose gasket. I just pull the beer nut to the end of the tubing so it's against the tail piece and stick my gasket in the nut. Then just attach the nut to the shank.

Does it go between the shank and tail piece or does it go inside the nut like a water hose gasket.

not both. you need to seal the tailpiece to the shank. the nut only provides the clamping force, and does not need to be sealed.

it goes between the tailpiece and shank.

Thanks for the replies. I had it between the shank and tailpiece, but wanted to make sure before i tightened it all down.

not both. you need to seal the tailpiece to the shank. the nut only provides the clamping force, and does not need to be sealed.

it goes between the tailpiece and shank.

I know the OP has his answer but just to clarify my comment - when I said both, I didn't mean to use two gaskets. I meant what you're referring to. The way I read the question, both was the answer.

Does it go between the tail piece and shank? Yes.
Does it go inside the nut like a water hose gasket. Yes.

I guess it depends on how you interpret the second part. The gasket does go inside the nut but outside the tail piece if that makes sense (i.e. not around the tail piece or hose but against the tail piece so it will make contact with both the tail piece and shank). And looks like a water hose gasket to me. I think I just complicated it with the way I read the question!

Back