Question about moving a Flanders red mid-aging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Qhrumphf

Stay Rude, Stay Rebel, Stay SHARP
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I'm planning on doing a Flanders red some time in the near future. Then it dawned on me that I'll likely be moving some time in the next 6-8 months. Only 20 or so miles, not cross country or anything.

My questions if it I should brew it now, and move it, or wait until after we move? Are there going to be major drawbacks to moving a carboy full of souring beer (outside of the obvious weight/spilling risks)? Its the first of that general style I'll be brewing. I know they need a small amount of oxygen during aging, but I'd think the sloshing around would be too much aeration. Plenty of other things I can brew instead, so either way is fine with me.

Just looking for some advice!

Cheers.

Brew it.
I doubt you will get a crazy amount of oxidation and the pellicles usually reform quite quickly. If you are really nervous you could rack to a keg purged with CO2 or just purge the carboy with more CO2.

Back