Hefeweizen/Dunkelweizen - Length of time in primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

permo

Reaction score
I made a 1.045 OG Dunkelweizen fermented with harvested Sierra Nevada Kellerweis yeast. After three days she is done! FG = 1.010 (perfect). Now I am wondering, since my standard time in primary is three weeks, if I should continue to let this sit for three weeks before kegging and go for it a little sooner.

My understanding as that these weizen's are best young....

If you're sure about your gravity, there is no reason to wait any longer. That being said, taste it. If you don't like the taste, or you feel it tastes too yeasty, let it sit a little longer as suggested. This time will allow more of the suspended yeast to settle out. Use the numbers and your taste buds to make your decision. Cheers!

If you're sure about your gravity, there is no reason to wait any longer. That being said, taste it. If you don't like the taste, or you feel it tastes too yeasty, let it sit a little longer as suggested. This time will allow more of the suspended yeast to settle out. Use the numbers and your taste buds to make your decision. Cheers!

It doesn't have as much of the banana/clove that I was hoping hoping for but it is a tasty brew directly out of the fermenter. I will have to keg it and put on the gas ASAP.

Latest posts

Back