My first starter...didn't go so well

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

digphish

Reaction score
I finally decided to use a starter after using a liquid yeast for the first time ever last batch. I didn't use a starter with my Kolsch, and it fermented fine although there was about a 30 hour lag time. so, I bought a 1000ml flask, stopper, air lock and package of yeast starter (DME and nutrient). I boiled 16oz of water in the flask. I then added the DME, which of course boiled right up out of the flask when the first clump landed in the water. After that I finally got the rest of the DME in the water and brought it back to a boil for 10 minutes. I then covered the top with aluminum foil and put it in ice to bring the temp down. When it was down, I shook the crap out of it to aerate. I also shook the yeast vile (White labs 002). When I opened the vile, it foamed out all over me. I then dumped what was left (couldn't really tell how much was left as it was mostly foam...I would guess about half of a vile) into the flask, shook, and stoppered. Now I wait to see if it works. Any feedback? Any thoughts on whether it will be okay? I made the starter at 2pm today, and plan on pitching at 11pm tonight, hopefully when the yeast is very active. Thanks for any feedback.

You want to give your starter longer than just 9 hours. It's really not enough time in my opinion, especially since you don't appear to be working with a stir plate.

I usually let mine go for 24 hours, then stick them in the fridge (at least overnight, if not longer) so I get a nice compact layer of yeast at the bottom of the flask. Then on brew day I pull the flask out of the fridge, decant off most of the spent wort, re-cover the flask, and then start brewing. This allows plenty of time for the yeast to get to the correct pitching temp range without a thermal shock. Once I'm ready to pitch, I swirl the yeast really good and dump it into the fermenter.

A starter takes a few hours to start fermenting, will take about 1 day or day and a half to complete fermentation, and another day for chilling, decanting, and bringing it back up to pitching temperature slowly. 9 hours isn't going to do a whole lot, and neither is pitching into less than a liter of wort. So I recommend 1800ml (or larger) starters, made about three days prior to brewday. A stirplate is also really helpful - you can buy a cheap one from Dan @ http://stirstarters.com/ .

When I make starters, I pour the DME into lukewarm water and then boil the mixture to avoid boilovers.

Before shaking up the vial, crack it open to release any excess pressure.

^+1. I usually let my starters go at least overnight. 12 to 18 hours seems to be the optimal yeast growth period. Some people go a lot longer. But you will have some growth, just not optimal. Next time try mixing the DME with the cold water, then bringing that to a boil next time, it's a lot easier. 16 oz. is probably too little water too. I fill my flask to just under1000ml mark, add 3/4 cup DME and 1 drop of femcap.

thanks for your feedback. I have read about this technique, but according to Mr.Malty, "I like to pitch starters while they're still very active and as soon as the bulk of reproduction is finished, usually within 8 to 18 hours". This is what I was going by. I figured if the starter is at room temp and the wort will be cooled to room temp, all should be good. I was also planning on pitching the whole starter.

I'd also say give it more time. Half a day isn't a big window for the yeast to multiply...especially if you lost some initially when opening the vial.

I actually made a starter with WL002 last week (theres a thread about it somewhere on here). I got a bunch of overflow after about 24 hours and was really worried that I had lost too much to pitch. I went ahead with it and its been going fine since Saturday. I guess that means my advice is go ahead with your brew, but give your starter a bit more time to do its thing.

Yes, you can pitch the whole starter. You don't have to decant. And you are right about the temperatures.

Always break the seal on the liquid yeast vials before shaking :) I would definitely give this longer than tonight before pitching, 24 hours at least.

So, when i got home from work, I decided to see how my starter was doing...and it looked good! i was even getting some bubbles in my airlock, so I decided to brew. I pitched the whole starter at 11pm (9 hour starter) and this morning, my brew was bubbling (about 9 hours after pitching). At 1 pm today it was bubbling like crazy. I guess I got lucky. I will most likely take everyone's advice and do the starter 48+ ahead, chill, decant, pitch. One question...can I make a starter weeks in advance?

Good deal! Just FYI, I pitch my 1L starters at about 12 hours, per Mr.Malty. I do use a stirplate though.

I've noticed many people talking about a 1L starter. Why would we need so much? i only had a 16oz starter and it seemed to work.

I've noticed many people talking about a 1L starter. Why would we need so much? i only had a 16oz starter and it seemed to work.

You can pitch a White Labs vial without a starter and it will work... doesn't mean it's working as well as it could.

I use a defoamer agent in my starters, which makes it WAY easier to boil DME in a flask. I use this stuff from AHS for $3: http://www.austinhomebrew.com/product_info.php?products_id=10388

I use a stir plate, but give my starters 4-7 days.

Here's my process:
1. Fill 2L flask to 1400ml with filtered water
2. Add 1 1/2 cup DME (roughly 1 cup per 1 Liter of water for a 1.040 wort)
3. Swirl it around to break up the chunks, or you could do this in a separate vessel
4. Add one drop of defoamer and bring wort to a boil
5. Boil for 15 minutes
6. Turn off heat and cover with sanitized foil
7. Let sit for 10 minutes, then chill in a bath of ice water to 80F
8. Pitch yeast and place on stirplate
9. After 3 days, remove from stirplate and place in the refrigerator
10. On brew day: Decant the clear wort, sampling some to ensure there is no infection.
11. Pitch yeast into cooled wort.

You've quoted the Mr Malty site a couple of times. Have you looked at the pitching rate calculator. It attempts to predict an ideal starter size based on the anticipated starting gravity of your wort, and the age of your yeast.

Also I can't recall the exact episode, but I remember Jamil saying that going much below 1000ml on a starter can cause the new cells to be undersized and less healthy or something to that effect. He just finished writing his new book on yeast and has spent much time studying them uder microscopes and hemocytometers, so I tend to trust his insight on yeast.

I have done the boilover thing. It's a mistake you only make once or twice as cleaning that sh*t off the burners is no fun. I heat the water up to near boiling, add a drop of fermcap, then add my dme before it gets to boiling. The dme will disolve much quicker in hot water than if you add it beforeyou heat the water.

Back