How to weigh down nylon bag in secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arover

Reaction score
I know this is an odd question but...I'm planning on putting coconut in a secondary for a brew I'm doing soon. How exactly is this done? As I understand it, coconut floats. How the hell am I supposed to weigh down the steeping bag to keep it on the bottom? Any ideas? My steeping bag is rather large to begin with, and I was even thinking of having part of it stick outside the airlock instead of jamming the whole thing in there...but I don't think that'd work, since, even if I got the bag weighed down, the coconut would still float to the top.

Anyone had any experience with this?

That means I gotta find some marbles :p If I don't even have to throw a bag in there altogether then I might as well not though. Hmmm....

You think it'll absorb the flavor just as much floating?

I don't know how much flavor coconut will impart in a fermentation, but as far as the chemistry of the process is concerned, I think it will. If you are concerned about sinking the coconut, you might want to try putting a little stainless steel silverware or something along those lines in the grain bag you are planning to use. If you are concerned about stainless steel, you could use a porcelain coffee mug or something to weigh it down...

I don't know how much flavor coconut will impart in a fermentation, but as far as the chemistry of the process is concerned, I think it will. If you are concerned about sinking the coconut, you might want to try putting a little stainless steel silverware or something along those lines in the grain bag you are planning to use. If you are concerned about stainless steel, you could use a porcelain coffee mug or something to weigh it down...

Hmm...Maybe I can just drop a few stainless steel butter knives in there :p

what if you shaved some coconut into your mesh bag, then weighed that down? seems like throwing a whole (or 1/2) of a coconut might not give off too much flavor.

I use leftover stainless steel washers (from building my mash tun) to weigh down stuff when I need to, but I usually just leave stuff floating around freely.

I've also heard of using marbles added in sufficient quantities to increase the level of the wort or must after much activity has died down, to minimize headspace in the container being used. Got 3/4 of a gallon of wine and want to keep it in secondary or tertiary without a CO2 setup? Marbles.

whenever I dry hop I sanitize a butter knife and tie it to the bag.

You put the beer in the coconut and drink it all up
You put the beer in the coconut and call the doctor, woke him up
I said doctor, is there nothing I can take
I said doctor, to relieve this bellyache
I said doctor, is there nothing I can take
I said doctor, to relieve this bellyache

Sorry, couldn't resist. Now the song will be in my head all day. :ban:

Last edited by a moderator:
there's nothing wrong with floating fruit in a secondary. I've got two pounds of cranberries floating in a wit right now.

Couple of quick questions. Have you thought about what the coconut oil will do to head formation? Foam and oil do not play well together. Have you thought about toasting it first? I like coconut but toasted it is a much different flavor. mmmmm
osagedr, nice avatar. :Dhttp://iam.homebrewtalk.com/osagedr

Wow, a lot of replies since I left. I guess I forgot to say, I'm toasting it in the oven first...as has been recommended over and over. I'm thinking if I can get away with letting it float, I will. I MAY add some coconut milk though, and THAT will definitely add oil...so I'm still deciding.

Back