Mephistopheles stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndrwHock

Reaction score
Hey guys, I just got my hands on one of these from 2006. I was wondering if anyone else has had it. I've had a few other avery brews and liked them and couldn't pass this one up. I hope its as good as the others, at $7 for one bottle, I'm expecting a lot.

Anywho, what was your impression of this if you've had it, and do you guys know of any really good imperial stouts that I can get cheaper?
I'm a big fan of stouts, and the type of guy to have one beer all night, so the robust flavor, not to mention high abv, of en imperial is right up my alley.

Good to hear some positive reinforcement, heh. I plan on enjoying this brew possible on Friday night and showing off to my friends all drinking their BMC swill, haha. I'd rather enjoy one beer than force down six for the same price, thought next time, I think I'll be picking up a sixxer of something, can't afford $7 a bottle all the time.

Have you had North Coast Old Rasputin yet? This is in many people's opinion one of the best RIS's out there. I've also had Descheutes Abyss which was damned good, and Left Hand Imperial Stout which did not really impress me.

McKBrew said:
Have you had North Coast Old Rasputin yet? This is in many people's opinion one of the best RIS's out there. I've also had Descheutes Abyss which was damned good, and Left Hand Imperial Stout which did not really impress me.

Old Raspy is a fine example but quite frankly pales in comparison to Meph. The only thing I've had that can hold its own against it is DFH's WWS. Good, but in a different way. I mean, old raspy is probably, what, 10 or 11%? Meph is 15%, FFS!

Evan! said:
Old Raspy is a fine example but quite frankly pales in comparison to Meph. The only thing I've had that can hold its own against it is DFH's WWS. Good, but in a different way. I mean, old raspy is probably, what, 10 or 11%? Meph is 15%, FFS!

I would probably agree, however I haven't had either of the other two to compare. And it's only 9%. I really do want to try the Meph, but haven't found it yet.

I was surprised to find it Here in middle Illinois. Someone told me about it and that I probably wouldn't find it anywhere, but it just popped up at the store when I went to buy some caps for bottling and I couldn't pass it up. I'll review it after I enjoy it, if the 16.03 abv does'nt have its way with me first, heh.

I've had Deschutes Abyss and thought it to be pretty spectacular, but I know people who've had both that and Mephy and said that Mephy, after aged for a year or so like my Nov. 2006 bottle, takes the cake. I want to try the Goose island bourbon street, but I couldn't find it when I was at the store, I was a bit rushed though, perhaps next time.

Keep the RIS recommendations coming :mug:

If you can find it pick up a six of bell's Expedition Stout. It's Bell's Imperial Stout. It'll be cheaper than $7 for a bottle and still a good beer. You said your in Illinois and there are tons of good imperial stouts that come out of Michigan and Wisconson. Your near prime beer country my friend. Check out www.ratebeer.com that will give you some very good ideas as to the Imperials that are in the area and for sale. However, there are a lot of Imperial Stouts that are not sold on the market and are only available at the brew pubs/breweries that make them. Go on a brew tour around January-Feburary when most of the companies release their Imperials.

I have a September 2006 bottle as well as one of Evan!'s clones. I'm aging Evan's for at least a year and will hopefully do a comparison.

Haven't had the Mephistopheles, but I have seen it around. I'll likely pick one up at some point.

Had the Abyss, and it was special, but pretty intense. I've got one I'm saving for next year.

As others have mentioned, Old Rasputin is quite good. I have several in my cellar awaiting future evaluation. I'd love to have that on a nitrogen tap or from a cask.

I also really liked the Stone RIS. Very hoppy (of course), which I think would fade nicely if left alone for a few years. I think it's cheap, too, at about $5 for a bomber.

Not sure if you can get it outside the Yay Area, but Drake's Imperial Stout is great.

Drank it last night.

I cracked open the bottle and dumped it into my imperial glass. The stuff pours a very deep black, extremely little to no light gets through this stuff. A creamy dark brown head perhaps two fingers high sat lightly on top of the beer, but lasted only through about half the glass (which took a while to drink, so no points lost).

The aroma was very rich, to say the least. There was a rich roasted malt character that dominated, with hints of dark fruits, figs and perhaps even currants, that made me eager to take my first sip. There was an almost unnoticeable alcohol aroma, much less that I expected with a 16.03 abv beer.

I dive in. That's what the first sip feels like. I was greeted by flavors of good espresso, dark chocolate, and roasted malt. Then a bit of sweetness kicked in and I was able to notice those fruity flavors I mentioned earlier, as well as a bit of an earthy raisiny note, with a hint of a lingering anise/licorice like note that fades into a bit of bitterness.

The mouthfeel was extremely full bodied. It coated the tongue and I could feel it slide down my throat in a pleasant warming fashion. The alcohol was very well hidden and not harsh in the least.

This is not a quaffable beer by any means, this is one to be savored and sipped.

I would definitely recommend this beer as something any stout lover... liker... thinker abouter should try at least once.

Had some Meph before and it is a mouthful to say the least. Damn good beer though. I'm interested in trying thier ale also just havent gotten around to it yet.

Back