Is this mold?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ilikebeer

Reaction score
So for my first try at cider, I'm brewing three small batches, in two of which I pitched yeast, and the third one I'm going natural.
This morning I noticed some white spots on top of the natural one, before I saw any bubbles. There's some bubbles now. Could the white spots be mold? Or is that a regular part of the process? Sorry, these pictures aren't the clearest. Those are bubbles around the perimeter, the white spots I"m concerned about are all over the top surface.
cider.jpg

cider2.jpg

Boy, I don't know. It could be mold or a fungal infection, or it could be the "natural" fermentation going on. It's just impossible to tell.

I'd let it sit for a while- and it will either get better, or worse. If it's better it was fermentation. If it's worse- it's contamination.

I'm currently making a starter for my first experimental cider. Within 24 hours I noticed some white spots as well, though they didn't cover the whole surface like yours. At 48 hours they have settled and dissappeared.

I'm wondering if they are just part of the process. I'd certainly like to know if it is abnormal before adding it to my juice.

this cider developed a pretty good thick krausen, and as far as I can tell seems to be doing fine. :) I guess I'll know for sure when the krausen falls if those spots are still there.

Back