Witbier krausen and fermentation time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iambeer

Reaction score
My first witbier has been fermenting for a week. The very thick krausen rose sometime the first day and it looks almost as huge today. The CO2 bubbles are still pretty active after a week. WLP410.

The recipe calls for flaked wheat and oats maybe that explains the krausen?

Typical of this and WLP400. I just kegged my batch and took 3 weeks 2 days for krausen to drop. It actually started growing again after the 2nd week started. Airlock going the entire trip. Don't let the krausen be an indicator of fermentation, take your gravity readings to determine if this yeast strain is done or not. If it is done, you can try and cold crash the krausen or just siphon out from under it.

Typical of this and WLP400. I just kegged my batch and took 3 weeks 2 days for krausen to drop. It actually started growing again after the 2nd week started. Airlock going the entire trip. Don't let the krausen be an indicator of fermentation, take your gravity readings to determine if this yeast strain is done or not. If it is done, you can try and cold crash the krausen or just siphon out from under it.

Wow, now I'm glad I asked, thanks!

When the bubbles stop a knockin for a few days, I'll start checking gravity.

Oh, I forgot to mention, if you are using 410, that is a platinum strain, only released in May & June. I'd suggest washing that yeast and storing it for future brews if you ever plan to do so. Not sure if you've washed before, but I usually do it on particularly good yeast strains or these ones that only come out at certain times each year. Here's a thread on it.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/yeast-washing-illustrated-41768/

Oh, I forgot to mention, if you are using 410, that is a platinum strain, only released in May & June. I'd suggest washing that yeast and storing it for future brews if you ever plan to do so. Not sure if you've washed before, but I usually do it on particularly good yeast strains or these ones that only come out at certain times each year. Here's a thread on it.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/yeast-washing-illustrated-41768/

I did notice the limited availability on that yeast. I took some samples from the original vial and they look nice and happy on culture slants. And I made a starter with the yeast that sticks to the vial with a little vort. I plan to use those samples for the next several months.

Back