Glassware: where to find rare beer glasses

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonalexdeval

Reaction score
Anyone know where to find rare glassware? Randy Mosher has some awesome pictures of glasses in some of his books, specifically the pillar ale glasses with the protuberances on the sides... mostly late 19th century that I know of. They are similar to this:

0277_1_lg.jpg

Anyone ever bought glassware online?

I have purchased some glassware on ebay, but finding exactly what you are looking for can be difficult.

flea markets and junker/antique shops are great.

I got an amazing granny made beer stein that was fired back in 1972. Picked it up for six bucks. The lady at the register kept saying how she couldn't believe the seller was letting it go for that price. It's ama-zuh-zing. No chips, paint is awesome, yadda yadda yadda.

Says "Feb '72 Connie" on the bottom.

Thanks Connie!

Good Will. I also have found some nice pint glasses, that I would prob not ever see normally, at The World Market.

Check with the distributor of your local craft brew shop. They may be able to get private label glasses specifically for certain beers or beer styles.

Unique glasses at the local bars + SWMBO's large purse = my growing beer glass collection :mug:

Yes, I have no shame...

Unique glasses at the local bars + SWMBO's large purse = my growing beer glass collection :mug:

Yes, I have no shame...

Call me a fuddy or just plain old but that is theft. Remember - we want establishments that go out of their way to promote beer in their proper glasses. We want them to stay in business.

Any glass used at a multi-location establishment (think Ruby's) can easily be found at walmart, target, homegoods, or the like - for only a few dollars.

if it makes you feel better, i only take from the bar that doesnt clean their taplines and sells mainly millercoorsbud and the bartenders take forever to serve and for some reason they think they need fancy glasses to serve garbage beer in...

if it makes you feel better, i only take from the bar that doesnt clean their taplines and sells mainly millercoorsbud and the bartenders take forever to serve and for some reason they think they need fancy glasses to serve garbage beer in...

... and have ugly waitresses...

sometimes if you just ask they'll give you one. I've had 2 given to me by being real nice, leaving a good tip and saying pleeeeeaaaaassss I really love this glass :ban:

Thanks for the responses. Yeah, I've been to this junk store up in the foothills that is like a permanent garage sale and they often have cool glassware for insanely cheap.

I think my strategy is going to be to give a picture of the glass I want to one of my mom's friends who shops at discount stores non-stop and see what she finds.

i havent bought a glass in a while. usually when i go and buy beer the owner throws me tons of glasses(delirium, chimay, fantome, dogfishhead, sierra nevada, ect.)

Back