Ale yeast for Lager Recipes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trodd

Reaction score
I have found a few lager recipes that sound pretty good, but, to ferment i actully cool my whole apartment to fermenting temperatures (really nice but expensive for the summer!) and cannot cool to lagering temperatures, for obvious reasons. WHat would happen if i used an ale yeast and fermented at ale temps for a lager recipe? What would the difference be?

How cool do you go?

Nottingham (dry) works really clean well at 14-16C and works fairly clean to 21c.

Any "neutral" ale yeast (and a lot of dry yeasts are) will work fairly good.

I just tried Mauribrew dry yeast from down under and it worked well for a helles lager recipe. I also currently can not lager in the summer. This yeast was developed in part for warm climates and can work up to 86F. I used it a 21C and it came out very clean.

You might try a kolsch yeast in the liquid variety or a california common perhaps?

Sorry, about the mixed celcius/Farenheit. You'll have to do the conversions since I'm feeling very lazy tonight.

Brew a steam beer. Or use Wyeast 1007 German Ale in a water bath with a fan across the wet towel on the carboy.

Yep, you could use a lager yeast and ferment at ale temps creating Ancor Steam style beer or Califorina Common style (same thing). This style is also defined by the use of norther brewer hops. I actually have one in the primary right now, although I'm using WLP008 which is a very neutral ale yeast.

Back