Cleaning green gunk off a copper immersion chiller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

linusstick

Reaction score
The chiller has been in a bucket in the garage unused for 4 years. I started brewing again so after cleaning off the old equipment I noticed bad oxidization(?) on the copper. Greenish white gunk and some black. I gave it a Star San bath and that seemed to help, then after some scrubbing most of the green is gone (some keeps coming back as it dries but not much). Is it normal to have a good amount of discoloration on this thing? I'd hate to go out and have to buy another one, but I'd hate even more to use it and end up with a metallic tasting beer. Thanks

I haven't had to clean my chiller yet.. but I do have plenty of other copper items I'm the kitchen. From what I understand the green/black is a result of oxidation, copper oxide. That's the part that may lend itself to off flavors and and is not something you want to ingest in moderate concentrations.

I've had good luck using lemon or vinegar and salt. if I have a squeezed out lemon I usually coat it with kosher salt and use that almost as a scrub pad. Sounds like you may have to put some elbow grease into it too.

Is there any pitting or cracks from corrosion??

muriatic acid will make a quick job of it and leave the copper a salmon color.
if it is pitted and the pits are still corroded IMO replace it
pete

Latest posts

Back