First Brew: I Have Two Small Babies & Questions--Pic

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Merino

Reaction score
First time I've tried to make KT. After a week I tasted the brew and decided to give it more time. I did this by getting a little of the tea out with a measuring cup and pushing the baby scoby down a little. The baby then sunk, and at two weeks I have another thin baby at the top. My mother is down at the bottom. Should I try to keep both babies? Is there anything "wrong" with the first baby having sunk to the bottom? I assume I use the thickest scoby to start the next batch? And what do I do with the mother, which is just a glob at the bottom? Thanks.

Screen Shot 2013-04-16 at 7.18.31 PM.png

Merino...do not worry about where the scoby rests. As you proceed you will see them in all different positions, has to do with CO2 balance. You can fish the extras out and share them, compost pile, air dry and crumble up for pets/farm animals/humans, make a wallet, etc. In the future if you want a sample use a straw, like you would use a pipette to obtain a sample.

Merino...do not worry about where the scoby rests. As you proceed you will see them in all different positions, has to do with CO2 balance. You can fish the extras out and share them, compost pile, air dry and crumble up for pets/farm animals/humans, make a wallet, etc. In the future if you want a sample use a straw, like you would use a pipette to obtain a sample.

^ This.

Also, it's fine to have multiple scobys in the brew, though it may become increasingly sour over time. Just use your judgment on when to remove extras. Or don't use them at all.

Ah, thanks for tips, guys. It's been brewing over two weeks now--I got busy and sorta forgot about it. I'll sample again today.

Latest posts

Back