American Chemical Society webinar on Beer Brewing on August 26 from 2-3

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bill2penn

Reaction score
FYI:
There will be a FREE webinar sponsored by the American Chemical Society dealing with Beer Brewing. It's scheduled for August 26 from 2-3. It will be given by Professor Charlie Bamforth of UC Davis. It's entitled "Tapping into the Chemistry of Beer and Brewing". You can read more about it, and register, on the ACS website here
http://acswebinars.org/bamforth

Bill

I was just going to post about this since I just got a notice of this in my inbox through ACS. Looks like you beat me to it

Reserving a conference room for me and some brew buddies at work to watch. I've heard really good things about Chuck Bamforth.

Wow...not really what I thought it was going to be. This was much more of a superficial look at brewing beer. There was no real "in-depth" look at the chemical processes that occur during the brewing process. Too bad...but it was cool that the ACS put on a webinar specifically on brewing beer!

Yeah, it was a bit more superficial than I thought it would be but still enjoyed it and it was in the middle of the work day.

I asked why he is called Dr. Bubbles and they actually answered it! haha.

Who asked why are my hops making yeast trub on the bottom of the fermenter? That made no sense at all.

Seriously, right!! Even if the question was why is there yeast trub at the bottom of the fermenter, it's still a dumb question.

I laughed in disgust at a couple of the questions asked (ex: difference between a lager and ale - especially when he explicitly stated the difference in the presentation....)

Back