10 faucets excessive? Chatter about refrigeration.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobby_M

Vendor and Brewer
HBT Sponsor
Reaction score
I knew it was coming. It's probably the perfect storm.

I brew more than I drink so beer back-logs.
I like variety.
My fermentation fridge just shat the bed so it's at the dump now.

I have my 5-keg freezer full of beer now and I have a few more kegs that need to be lagering. I was just about to go drop a bunch of cash on a fridge that would hold say 1 carboy or 2 kegs, something like a large dorm fridge. Then I got to thinking. Of the two different temperature states I'd need, serving/lagering are about the same (~38F for me) and many many more batches sit at this state for a long time. Fermenting is the other whether it be lager or ale but this is usually just one batch for 2-4 weeks at a time.

In looking at upright freezers, I found a few that would hold 6 cornies up high and 4 cornies below. Rather than use something like this for my replacement fermentation cabinet, why not just throw 8-10 faucets in the door and use my chest freezer for fermenting? I must be crazy.

6 taps. And I regularly use my keezer for lagering. Well, I did when I actually had time to make beer and drink it.

Now a days, it seems even the ales get lagered before teh keg kicks.

Back