Marbles vs. .... to minimize secondary Headspace

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jkpq45

Reaction score
Hey all,

I've heard about sanitizing marbles and throwing them into the secondary to minimize headspace. What has anyone else done?

Thanks!
jkpq45

Marbles don't work that well, really, I have used them, but you need a LOT of marbles to reduce the headspace. Also, if the wine is still dropping lees the marbles collect the lees and make it tough to rack.

The easiest way I've found is to make a bit more must at the time, and keep the extra wine in a wine bottle with an airlock (there are bungs that fit) and use it for topping up. Or, use a commercial wine. I also will go to a smaller carboy for my homemade wines. I'll start with a 6 gallon carboy, then use a 5 gallon carboy and have the extra in a wine bottle, etc. I usually plan my recipes now for racking losses.

Yooper, have you ever used the variable-capacity sort of containers? I was thinking of buying a 25 or 50 gal stainless steel type with the lid that slides up and down inside, sealed by a rubber tube that gets inflated. wondered if anyone had any experience of these.

I like to start at 6 1/2 to allow for losses. I understand kits dont work that way, but I dont make many kits. Costco sells cheap kits that have 2 kits in each box. I use them a lot to add up to 6 1/2 gallon, you don't have to add much condensed juice for that.

Yooper, have you ever used the variable-capacity sort of containers? I was thinking of buying a 25 or 50 gal stainless steel type with the lid that slides up and down inside, sealed by a rubber tube that gets inflated. wondered if anyone had any experience of these.

No, I just use regular carboys and other glass items like growlers and wine bottles, to hold odd amounts.

The couple times I've made wine I've used CO2 from my keg system to purge the airspace in the carboy. Since CO2 is heavier that "air" it will displace any O2 in residence.

No signs of oxidation in my wines thus far.

I have tried a method where I make the kit according to instructions where you ruin it through the primary fermentor, rack to a secondary, wait a few weeks and the stabilize. At that point I rack to a five gallon carboy and any left overs is kept in seperate bottles if you should need some for topping off if bulk aging and racking every few months.

You don't end up with as many bottles in the end, but what you do have is not watered down or "altered" with another wine.

I have also used the marble method and as Yooper says it does require a lot of them-but they are pretty cheap and they a reuseable.

I have tried a method wear I make the kit according to instructions where you ruin it through the primary fermentor

I'm hoping you meant to say run it through.

CO2 is good for keeping o2 out of the headspace, but gives a bit of taste if it gets in the wine. Nitrogen is good to use but not heavier than air and expensive.

CO2 is good for keeping o2 out of the headspace, but gives a bit of taste if it gets in the wine. Nitrogen is good to use but not heavier than air and expensive.

What? The natural process of the yeast release CO2 into the wine. If you're concerned about what little CO2 is actually used to purge the airspace might "flavor" the wine, you're already screwed from the amount of CO2 that has passed through the wine from fermentation.

First time I've heard of a taste from CO2....

Well I wouldn't really be concerned about the amount of co2 used but wineries prefer to use nitrogen for this reason. CO2 definitely has a taste, hence all the concern about degassing. In this forum you will see plenty of discussion about it, carbonic acid is formed by dissolved CO2 and the usual remedy is decanting a few hrs before drinking. Probably the commonest fault in home made wine.

Back