55 gallon questions. =)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grimsawyer

Reaction score
Where is a good place to get 55 gallon SS barrels? How much should you expect to pay per barrel? Would 2 banjo burners get 45 or so gallons to boil in one? When working with a 55 gallon setup would 1 inch ID pipe/tubing be the best choice?

Grimsawyer said:
Where is a good place to get 55 gallon SS barrels? How much should you expect to pay per barrel? Would 2 banjo burners get 45 or so gallons to boil in one? When working with a 55 gallon setup would 1 inch ID pipe/tubing be the best choice?

Pfffft, why stop at 55 gallons? :D

If you're gonig to go that big, just take the dive into multi-barrel homebrewing.

mmmmmmmm... brewing by the barrel. :rockin:

ohiobrewtus said:
Pfffft, why stop at 55 gallons? :D

If you're gonig to go that big, just take the dive into multi-barrel homebrewing.

mmmmmmmm... brewing by the barrel. :rockin:
LOL...isnt the federal limit at 100 gallons per person per household per year, up to 2 people?

You smash that real quick.

Im sure no one here brews that much now :)

bigben said:
LOL...isnt the federal limit at 100 gallons per person per household per year, up to 2 people?

You smash that real quick.

Im sure no one here brews that much now :)

wonder if charges have ever been filed for someone exceding that number. My guess is they really wouldn't care until you're in the 1000s per year. And you'd never be on the radar unless you sold it...

davefleck said:
wonder if charges have ever been filed for someone exceding that number. My guess is they really wouldn't care until you're in the 1000s per year. And you'd never be on the radar unless you sold it...

Can you imagine the feebs knocking down your door, and you are in the bathroom just beer bonging the evidence trying to get under the limit like Ray Liotta's wife in Goodfellas?

Realistically, anything that big, you'd want to go to steam or a couple jet burners. Used 'soup' kettles would be one option. Many restaurant supply places carry them.

LouT said:
Yeah... There's a reason we build our own stuff... heheh. but that 15bbl system looks sexy! I Don't have a banjo burner and I can boil 10 gallons of wort. Just one of the bayou classic burners. the fat square stand one. The banjo burner is three times hotter than that. If I had 2 banjo burners under a 40 gallon batch I'd be(yes burning more propane, but...) heating faster than what I do now. =) Where do you get 55 gallon SS drums/barrels? I'm sure it'd be cheaper than restaurant equipment, although I diddn't know they made stock pots THAT big. =) I would like a system THAT big so I could invite 3 or 4 people over and brew up a huge batch, then split it and we can all ferment it at home. Just kicking the idea around anyhow. Besides, if i'm going to own my own brewery gotta start small and work up to the bigger things.(and yes, i've read brewpastor's story... That first bottling sounded like what could go wrong did!)

I can get :
4.5Gallon @ $26
6.5Gallon @ $32
8Gallom @ $51
10Gallom @ $53
15Gallom @ $60
20Gallom @ $90
25Gallom @ $110
30Gallom @ $170
35Gallom @ $180

bigben said:
LOL...isnt the federal limit at 100 gallons per person per household per year, up to 2 people?...

Something like that, but I hear if you drink it... It's somewhat hard to come up with evidence to prove otherwise. :cross:

there is a dude in Ga selling 55 gallon drums (heavy duty, he says) 250-350 and shipping is 75-100 any where in the country. don't know if that'll be worth it. check out rav214005 on ebay.

Latest posts

Back