Let's make a recipe together (again)...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Well, what kind?

• IPA

• Pale Ale (domestic)

• Amber / Red Ale

• Some kind of English ale (ESB, etc.)

• Porter / Stout

• Belgian

• Holiday Ale

Results are only viewable after voting.

the_bird

10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
OK, help me make a recipe to brew at Yankee Ingenuity V that can hopefully be a true HBT recipe.

Here's the rules.

I'll be taking a bunch of polls, in the following order:

1. Beer style
2. Grain bill
3. Hops and hopping schedule
4. Yeast
5. Extras (oaking, etc).

Polls are going to be open for one day. Once a poll is closed, that's it, it's decided. For the following day, I'll be taking proposals for the next item on the agenda. For example, I'm posting a poll right now for the style; it's open for a day, then the style is picked. For the next day, post your proposal for the grain bill. I'll compile that data and take the best suggestions and put them in a new poll. Once that's decided, we'll discuss, then vote, on the hops, etc., etc.

Make sense?

I'm going to start by asking y'all to vote on a style; what should I (hopefully we) brew?

Other basic parameters; gonna be appropriate for a single-infusion mash, gotta be AG (we'll figure out an extract version after).

DeathBrewer said:
Me 1st! :D

Stout, all the way...we should have some kind of holiday ale though...something interesting...

Good thought; I'll add that to the poll before it gets too late. Do you want to change your vote?

ESB. It's an often overlooked one that'll get you through the winter. My fave is a porter/stout, but I would suspect that those that like them already have one scheduled.

With stout and holiday you run the risk of having two and two is sometime too many.

EDIT: Not that I personally would care. When is this extravaganza?

Holiday ale all the way (hey it rhythms).

Seriously I would like a holiday ale that could potentially be amber to dark amber... (since that's what I was already thinking of doing).

olllllo said:
EDIT: Not that I personally would care. When is this extravaganza?

YI's in about a month. I figure this process should be done within two weeks, though, so it would be brewable by November 1st. That leaves what, eight weeks before x-mas?

Dude, crazy I was thinking the same thing the other day, that we should all do this.
I vote stout. I have yet to make one and would love to get one made.

Now, I'm intentionally leaving "porter/stout" open to interpretation at this point. If we go "porter/stout" as the broad choice, I'm expecting one potential grain bill will be for a brown porter, one for a dry Irish stout, one for a Russian Imperial Stout, etc...

Russian Imperial Stout

It is big, strong, dark, and will last for years (at least it can last for years, mine never makes it).

Besides, I will be making some again anyway!

Baltic Porter is another one. I have never made one, but it would be a great one to try.

As you probably know I have a thing for big beers.

I have only brewed 1 stout and it really came out good. I think it would be great to brew one soon and have it ready to drink by December. I agree with Bird, clarifying the style will be important to recipe formulation, ie Irish Dry stout, Iperial Stout, ect...

Eastside

I picked Holiday Brew because I have never done one & this could be made in time for Christmas & New Years

Gotta go with the stout. Enough of the IPAs. I'm brewing a stout up this weekend, but I could use another batch. All we need is someone to act as a guinea.....bird.

I voted for a red. A nice dry irish red would be nice for Christmas. Most people would be more open to a red than a stout/porter. Now you got me thinking thanks alot.

Madtown Brew said:
What type of event is this? What kind of people will be drinking this stuff?

I will be drinking it and the people I give it to will be drinking it and that can be said for the rest of you as well a assume.

Brewpastor said:
Russian Imperial Stout

It is big, strong, dark, and will last for years (at least it can last for years, mine never makes it).

Besides, I will be making some again anyway!

Baltic Porter is another one. I have never made one, but it would be a great one to try.

As you probably know I have a thing for big beers.

I'd be interested in doing a Baltic Porter as well!

I chose ESB just because I've not yet done one and I just brewed a stout. Also because it's a horse race at this point and I wanted to close the gap a bit.;)

Actually, an Russian Imperial would make agreat 8-8-8 beer. 1.080, 80 IBUs.

I would like to switch my vote on this here poll to one more vote for a West Coast (Arrogant Bastard) Amber Ale, or an ESB.

Meanwhile I am going to start playing with a 8-8-8 recipe.

I'm down with 08.08.08. I didn't get in on either of the past two due to extenuating circumstances, but I'm ready to roll now. Ta hell with Yankoff Engine Yoowity. I mean, hey, I'd roll up on taxachussetts if I could, but that's not realistic. But I'd definitely be down for some hbt-wide russian imperial stout junx. So....?

BP, this poll's open for a day, then there's a day for grain bill proposals, then one day of voting. Then, a day of hop schedule proposals, and a day of voting, etc.

I'll definately brew whatever RIS you develop for 08.08.08, but that kinda seems to be the general direction this was going, too... oh well, can't have too much RIS!

Shout for stout, shout for stout! Stout, stout, stout, stout!

Mostly b/c I haven't brewed one in a long time!

Rhoobarb said:
Shout for stout, shout for stout! Stout, stout, stout, stout!

Mostly b/c I haven't brewed one in a long time!

Stout. Stout. Let it all out. These are the things we can't do without. Come on! I'm brewing with you, come on!

EDIT: I had Sam Adam's honey porter last night. Not bad at all.

Yuri_Rage said:
I voted English ale - they're simple, easy, and often overlooked.

I voted English Ale myself, originally, but now I'm definately leaning towards the porter/stout direction. There's more that we can do to a porter or stout to make it unique, you know? The last stage of voting will be for things like oaking, smoking (subbing in some rauchmalt), potentially even doing a little bit of souring a la Guiness if we choose to do an Irish stout. I guess we could do the same with an ESB, but it strikes me as a bit less open a style to interpretation.

Well, porter or stout it is. If people want this to continue, let's see some proposed grain bills. This will be how we finalize the style; if you'd like to do a RIS, give me a RIS grain bill. I'll compile the data, once we get four or five good candidates, we'll vote.

Brewpastor's Dark Night of the Soul is a proven brew that many(myself included) think is very good.
Too many RIS's lying around? Give some to your non-drinking cousin to put in his/her basement and forget about them for a couple years. :D You'll be glad you did.

edit- Looking back it appears you're looking for an original recipe to be created for Yankee Ingenuity, so disregard my suggestion.

I'll start it off with a porter recipe. this is something i threw together over the last hour. i've never made an all-grain recipe before :)

Code:
Batch Size (Gal):         5.50
Total Grain (Lbs):       13.00
Anticipated OG:          1.060
Anticipated SRM:          58.1
Brewhouse Efficiency:       70 %

Grain/Extract/Sugar

%     Amount     Name                          Origin        Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
 53.8     7.00 lbs. Maris Otter(2-row)            Great Britain  1.038      3
 15.4     2.00 lbs. Munich Malt                   Germany        1.037      8
  7.7     1.00 lbs. Crystal 90L                   America        1.033    120
  7.7     1.00 lbs. Wheat Malt                    America        1.038      2
  7.7     1.00 lbs. Black Patent Malt             America        1.028    525
  3.8     0.50 lbs. Chocolate Malt                Great Britain  1.034    475
  3.8     0.50 lbs. Roasted Barley                America        1.028    450

DeathBrewer said:
I'll start it off with a porter recipe. this is something i threw together over the last hour. i've never made an all-grain recipe before :)

Code:
Batch Size (Gal):         5.50
Total Grain (Lbs):       13.00
Anticipated OG:          1.060
Anticipated SRM:          58.1
Brewhouse Efficiency:       70 %

Grain/Extract/Sugar

%     Amount     Name                          Origin        Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
 53.8     7.00 lbs. Maris Otter(2-row)            Great Britain  1.038      3
 15.4     2.00 lbs. Munich Malt                   Germany        1.037      8
  7.7     1.00 lbs. Crystal 90L                   America        1.033    120
  7.7     1.00 lbs. Wheat Malt                    America        1.038      2
  7.7     1.00 lbs. Black Patent Malt             America        1.028    525
  3.8     0.50 lbs. Chocolate Malt                Great Britain  1.034    475
  3.8     0.50 lbs. Roasted Barley                America        1.028    450
brother if you put 1# of Black Patent in there your gonna be sorry it makes the porter so astringent and harsh I started out brewing porters with alot of black patent now I dont use any
JJ

Back