Can I make a dip tube out of this?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbrookeiv

Crafted Magazine
Reaction score
Hey guys,

On a tight budget, trying to add a ball valve to my 15 gallon kettle. My wife's parents are coming down in two weeks, and my father-in-law is bringing a drill (since I don't currently own a drill).

This will be my opportunity to finally get a ball valve installed on my kettle, but I'm a little low on funds. I am ordering a weldless kit from Bargain Fittings, but their dip tubes are pretty pricey.

Would this work for a dip tube?

41572789-2db6-4e13-b1be-b9afcea8e35c_300.jpg

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc...splay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

My idea is to screw the elbow directly in to the coupling on the inside of the kettle, and cut a small length of copper to fit into the compression fitting, just enough so it is close to the bottom of the kettle.

Any thoughts? Also, I'm not worried about the brass, since I'm buying a brass ball valve.

Hey guys,

On a tight budget, trying to add a ball valve to my 15 gallon kettle. My wife's parents are coming down in two weeks, and my father-in-law is bringing a drill (since I don't currently own a drill).

This will be my opportunity to finally get a ball valve installed on my kettle, but I'm a little low on funds. I am ordering a weldless kit from Bargain Fittings, but their dip tubes are pretty pricey.

Would this work for a dip tube?

41572789-2db6-4e13-b1be-b9afcea8e35c_300.jpg

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc...splay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

My idea is to screw the elbow directly in to the coupling on the inside of the kettle, and cut a small length of copper to fit into the compression fitting, just enough so it is close to the bottom of the kettle.

Any thoughts? Also, I'm not worried about the brass, since I'm buying a brass ball valve.

I don't see why it wouldn't. As long as the connections are tight and it can keep a siphon, you should be fine.

Its brass... you may want to read up on pickling that in hydrogen peroxide and vinegar before you use it so any lead exposed is not leached into your wort.

How about a 1/2" NPT copper adapter with a street elbow sweated in? Dirt cheap

Unfortunately, I don't have access to a blowtorch. It would definitely increase my budget if I bought one, so that's why I was wanting to use a compression fitting.

Here's my diptube:

photo.jpg

I recommend the 1/2" pipe for decreased risk of clogging, and in case you install a whirlpool chiller in the future.

That looks exactly like what I'm talking about.

I guess my dilemma now is, for $6 plus the cost of a short length of copper pipe, plus the time involved in bending the pipe, would it be worth upgrading the a Bargain Fittings dip tube for $23? That way, I could try and keep my system completely stainless.

How do you guys weigh in on the brass vs. stainless debate? I know it's been hashed over a million times, but I'd like to hear a few more opinions.

IMHO brass and copper on the hot side are of no concern. If it were an issue there would be a lot fewer brewers using copper immersion chillers to cool their wort. Now once I get to the cold side it's nothing but stainless in my brewery.

Beach

There are two concerns (that I can think of):

1) Harmful chemicals. Mostly we're talking about lead here. Here's what John Palmer has to say about it.

2) Corrosion. Yes, you will experience a small amount of corrosion when you mix metals like this. But again I'll refer to JP. He says that these three metals (copper, brass, and SS) are pretty close in the galvanic series so whatever corrosion you do experience is pretty minimal.

Since we're talking about the BK then I don't really consider sanitation an issue.

I guess I'm not worried about sanitation, I don't want to be ingesting a bunch of harmful chemicals/metals in order to save $20.

How do you guys weigh in on the brass vs. stainless debate? I know it's been hashed over a million times, but I'd like to hear a few more opinions.
Brass is safe enough and cheap. Stainless is harder, more expensive and has the "bling factor."

PS: Having no bling upon my person, it crops up elsewhere; my brew system has as much as possible of the stainless variety. :)

Back