books for the new guy ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drumm72

Reaction score
Are there some good books/manuals on brewing that will help a beginner ?? I have one but its pretty vague and doesnt cover terminology real well , or even explain process well ..
I am just looking to get a bit more familiar , or educated , you might say , on other process's and terms used when discussing brewing ..
I am pretty ignorant to most of what i have read on the site , as far as some of the terminology and such .
Sorry for the ignorant newby questions ..

The 2 essentials in my opinion:

How to Brew by John Palmer - http://www.amazon.com/dp/0937381888/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

This has everything you need to know about the brewing process in easily understood prose. Includes basic through advanced material.

Brewing Classic Styles by JZ and JP - http://www.amazon.com/dp/0937381926/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

This will give you starting points for any BJCP style. I'd recommend brewing them as is the first time and then tweek as you move forward.

GT

Last edited by a moderator:
+1 for Palmer's book. This is a bible for home brewers. Plus by regularly reading threads on this forum you will learn a great deal.

+2 for Palmers Book, It's what I used as guide for my First AG. Check Amazon about $14.00 + S&H. Ships Fast.

Kazi

This topic comes up periodically. Consensus seems to be:
* How to Brew is the best intro

Next on the list after that, in some order:
* Brewing Classic Styles
* Designing Great Beers
* Radical Brewing

And The Complete Joy of Homebrewing is historically interesting and has a RDWHAHB attitude, and Brew Like a Monk is necessary if you brew Belgians.

Check out my "library page" on my website. I own every book on this site (unless it says I don't and they are marked). I put the top 5 that I refer to all the time on the top of the page. It doesn't change your price if you use my links, so either way. It's not like I've ever made money off this...

Oh and +1 more for Palmer's book. It is usually my "go to" reference book.

Latest posts

Back