Burnt Flavor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gallagherman

Reaction score
I have a burnt flavor in my dubbel. Its been in the primary for 11 days now. I checked in on it and there is a strong burnt flavor and slight burned aroma. I believe it can be 1 of 2 things:

1. I got a new false bottom for my MLT and it seems to let some grains out when sparging. For most of the sparge husks were going through the tube into the kettle. Tried to control it as best as I could, but what you gonna do....

2. It being a dubbel it required sugar and dark candi sugar syrup in the kettle. Added it at the end of the boil. Could have scorched it I guess, but I was conscious of this and tried to be cautious - stirring diligently.

I'm leaning towards the husks in the kettle as the source. I've used sugar in the kettle before and had burnt-free beer. I've never seen husks travel into the kettle before. What do you guys think. Can husks in the kettle contribute to burnt flavor?

Back