So who's brewing this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just read an article yesterday in a BYO mag I found laying around the house. It said the exact same thing you just said about smoke malt. I've never made a smoky beer, had a couple but wasn't crazy about it. Just be careful with the smoke on the bastard.

I wished I could brew this weekend!

Aaaaaaand now I HAVE to do this one because you just named it....Smoke on the Bastard. Brilliant!!!

Will be doing a 2 brew w/e. 3G Tropical IPA using Omega Tropical yeast, and an Apple ale with 1450 slurry.

I am brewing again but I am not sure which of 2 recipes will be made. I have a Mexican pilsner that I will add gave nectar to, but also want to do another batch of an APA/IPA. Just got 40 ozs of hops delivered so I have to make some decisions on my ingredients.

In the words of William J. Lapettimane, Gov... "Work work work work work work work!" lolol

That's a good kind of work problem to have catdaddy...haha.

I may luck out and brew two this weekend. One a Kolsch-style all-grain with my buddy down the street, and the other an extract Kolsch-style at my house (once the kids go to bed tomorrow night). I plan to harvest the yeast on both if I can get away with it.

I gotta ask about a 100 dollar specialty malt grain bill. Share?

That is includind a lb of columbus and 2 packs of 001 and some dme for a starter. So i guess i should of said that its everything but the base. Got 24 lbs of pale malt as the base.

I am brewing a hoppy wheat beer with a lemongrass infusion. Will use Amarillo and a touch of Sorachi Ace to make the lemongrass flavors pop.

Equally as important, I am bringing my brand new Penguin glycol chiller online to use with my FTSs system (Brew Tech Conicals). In this summer heat, I was struggling with keeping frozen ice bottles in a cooler.

I found a box of crushed grains and hops from an order I made in August... of 2015. I stuck it in the closet and forgot about it. All factory sealed from William's.

Tomorrow morning I'm going to open them, smell them, and sift them into a big bag. If it smells good and there are no weevils, I'm brewing some goddamn beer.

Batch of my house ale Sunday... 11 gallons, then the weekend after maybe an IPA for variety... Going to split my house ale between Notty and S-05 this time to see what I get, last time I used Notty and T-58(gave it a fat tire like funk but stronger)

I'm planning to brew something, but haven't yet figured out what. Maybe a saison, 'cuz I have pilsner malt and a packet of Belle Saison, and a bunch of different hops in the freezer.

I also want to brew a witbier soon but I'd have to go buy stuff for that one.

I am brewing for my 4th weekend in a row. Probably be at least two more to build up my pipeline. Yoopers pale ale tomorrow and a Mexican lager next weekend.

Doing my take on zombie dust today, and then another bath of the Russian River row 2 hill 56 clone, but with a cascade/citra/mosaic for the hops

Well I'm planning to, I haven't brewed since last year! I have no real idea what yet, prob a pale or session IPA that will be done quick I'm running out of beer!

Brewed an IPA yesterday, a nice step away from all the NE IPA’s I have been doing lately. I wanted something completely opposite side of the spectrum.

This one is designed to be intensely bitter and unbalanced. OG of 1.056 (expected FG of 1.008-1.010), approx. 6% ABV. Using good ole’ Chico.

100+ IBU with a nice collection of dank hops… Columbus, Nugget, Simcoe, Centennial and Chinook. 3oz of Chinook alone as my bittering charge at 60min, on top of 1oz of Columbus as a FWH. The only other additions at 15min and flame out. For the dry hop, a bit of “color” with a small amount of Galaxy and Citra (with a bulk of the dry hop being Simcoe and Nugget).

Water profile is very high in sulfates (350ppm) to further accent the bitterness/dryness.

Grist was a bit more robust with additions of munich, vienna and flaked wheat on top of the 2-row. Touch of carapils and 60L (5oz or so to bring color to 5 SRM).

That sounds like a tasty recipe! I would be curious to know how it turns out. Cheers!

I've only brewed twice since Easter, so I'm super excited to get one in today. Was planning a Zythos SMASH but don't quite have enough hops, so I'm going to bitter with magnum and use Zythos for everything else

Just getting up to the boil on my maris otter/huell melon smash. Only my second BIAB since I didn't feel like breaking out my grainfather for 2.5 gallons. Temp was 152 when I put it in oven, and it got up to 156. Hopefully it doesn't turn out too sweet.

10 gallons of Bohemian Lager in the ferm fridge.
ab_25jun2017.jpg

Yeast and O2 are rarin' to go but can't pitch 'til it drops another 10°F.
Lagers are a bit of a pita...

Cheers!

Doing a Calimex lager, using agave nectar and wlp810, the San Francisco lager yeast. My friend who owns the local lhbs will let me use his fridge for temp control.

Yay!

Yeast and O2 are rarin' to go but can't pitch 'til it drops another 10°F.
Lagers are a bit of a pita...
Cheers!

What temperature is the wort now and what temperature are you aiming for?
My last batch was an imperial pilsner; I could only get it down to 60 so I pitched the yeast late afternoon and put the carboy into the cooler at 50. By the next morning it was down to 54 and the first signs of fermentation were just becoming apparent. It turned out very good. This is my normal lager S O P and I've never had any problems.

Next weekend Viking Beer. Extract and the first time to use Irish Moss. Exciting! Oh and my JOAM is bottle-ripe. Clear as glass but most oranges are still floating.

This weekend I'm bottling up a 3 gal batch of a blonde that I accidentally made tart in the mash; added berries in secondary in hopes of saving and it's great from the sample I pulled yesterday. Harvesting the yeast from the batch and using it to brew up a relatively low ABV (around 7%) 3 gal batch of mead that I plan to experiment with in separate 1 gal secondaries - Earl Gray, chamomile, and spruce tips, I think.

A hoppy Mosaic pale ale kinda based on the Two-Hearted recipe in the current Zymurgy. Gonna get a starter going tonight using Oberon dregs.

I'll be brewing up a Victory Prima Pils clone. While racking my scotch ale, and kegging my summer ale!

Another batch of NEIPA. Will change up the hops, thinking Nelson, Amarillo, Mosaic.

A Bell's Two Hearted style IPA on Saturday. HWMO requested it. We're currently drinking a Centennial-Cascade-Citra IPA with a lighter hoppy ale next to keg. Gotta love it!

4th of July weekend = my last chance to get my beer for my annual Oktoberfest party done with adequate time to lay them down and lager, so this weekend I will be brewing:
- a Munich Helles
- a Kloster Dunkel (modeled after Kloster Kreuzberg's house bier)
- a Bamberg-style Rauchbier, half of which will get oaked.
- a Bavarian Pils
My Oktoberfest has already been brewed and is lagering, so that's taken care of.

Yes, my annual Oktoberfest party is quite an event.

Back