German Altbier first time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've got a German Altbier sitting in the secondary now. I was told it should be lagered at about 40 to 50 degrees in its secondary. I've got it sitting in my refrigerator at about 42d now. It has been sitting in there for about 3 days now. Bad thing is it's a brown mud color with about an inch of separation at the top. Even that separation is not an inviting color (a bit lighter, nothing special). Am I just being too impatient expecting so much so fast? Please tell me it will hopefully start clearing soon. Never realized homebrews could be so exciting...

It may take quite a while to clear, so i wouldn't worry about it. you can always use some polyclar or other finings to clear it later, after it's done conditioning. Secondary for a lager takes considerably longer than it does for an ale. I'd recomend that you do your best to ignore it for a few weeks atleast.

Thanks for the info. It is what it is. In the meantime I might as well start brewing another batch. Anyone have any ideas similar to an 'Anchor Steam' type?

Oh, I like anchor steam. My clone is pretty good, but not "toasty" enough to be close to the original. Good luck and let us know what you end up making!

Back