First Partial Mash og 1.018 instead of 1.042

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jazzand1

Reaction score
In our first Partial Mash brew we tried the stick the kettle in the oven technique. We messed up bad and never realized that we were mashing at temperatures in excess of 180 degrees. By the time we realized that the temperature at the top of the mash was way different than the one at the bottom it had already been an hour. Then during the boiling there was a boil over which caused the loss of some wort. The result of this was a starting og of 1.018 instead of the recipe's 1.042. According to the table below of ogs the minimum is 1.020, and I've never head of anyone starting at such a low gravity. Should I expect drinkable beer or banana flavored soda?

Milds Beers and Wheat Beers: 1.020-1.040 Original Gravity
Lagers, Stout, Porter, Pale Ale, Bitters: 1.040-1.050 Original Gravity
ESB, IPA, Oktoberfest: 1.050-1.060 Original Gravity
Strong Ales, Bocks: 1.060-1.075 Original Gravity
Barley Wines, Belgian Trippels: > 1.075 Original Gravity

Whelp, it will be different that's for sure. It will prob be astringent due to the high temp. Try and get some amylase to try and save it. I wouldn't give up on it yet.

Back