vapor barrier question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OHIOSTEVE

Reaction score
If the room is heated in the winter and cooled in the summer...which side does the vapor barrier go on? I know it is supposed to be on the warm side BUT that will depend on what time of the year it is.

I've put up thousands of feet of the pink insulation and it always goes paper side in.
Even in a crawlspace the paper goes up toward the floor and the pink side goes down and gets you all itchy.

Are you trying to make a cold room? I would go with 3-4 inch styrafoam for a cold room as the pink will absorb some moisture. As far as residential insulating for a house though the vapor barrier goes to the inside.

I've put up thousands of feet of the pink insulation and it always goes paper side in.
Even in a crawlspace the paper goes up toward the floor and the pink side goes down and gets you all itchy.

Are you trying to make a cold room? I would go with 3-4 inch styrafoam for a cold room as the pink will absorb some moisture. As far as residential insulating for a house though the vapor barrier goes to the inside.

cool room.. 60 degrees year round. so heated in the winter and cooled in the summer... I think with only going down to 60 I may be able to get by with the fiberglass ....maybe...

Put in 2 layers, barrier sides out both ways plus more insulation... wait, what do you mean you ain't made of money :D

With the cool room the vapor barrier on the outside would work better with high humidity/ temp outside during summer cooling Vs. the low temp low humidity situation in the winter when room is heated. The greater the temperature and humidity potentials between spaces the greater the flow of moisture to equalize the difference.

Back