Removing mold from old bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MX1

Texas Ale Works
Reaction score
I just got a rack of 50cl bottles froma buddy of mine, which is great because I was going to be about 10 or so short.

They must have been sitting around for a while because as I was washing/removing lables I found a lot of "science" growing inside. My plan is to do an overnight soak in bleach water and the re-wash the hell out of them. I do not have a bottle brush, so I will be off to pick one of those up as well.

Will this be enough to clean them? Before I bottle I will soak in starsan of course.

Tim

My local beer store gives cases of bottles away for the price of deposit. Problem is they are usually a little moldy inside.

A bottle brush is a must have. I found the best was is just to soak the whole bottle in oxyclean for a day then bottle brush and rinse/sanitize well before you store them.

This works great because the labels fall right off while they are soaking.

I just got a rack of 50cl bottles froma buddy of mine, which is great because I was going to be about 10 or so short.

They must have been sitting around for a while because as I was washing/removing lables I found a lot of "science" growing inside. My plan is to do an overnight soak in bleach water and the re-wash the hell out of them. I do not have a bottle brush, so I will be off to pick one of those up as well.

Will this be enough to clean them? Before I bottle I will soak in starsan of course.

Tim

Your method works for cleaning the mold out, that's what I use. You do have to rinse when you're done, but the bleach works great.

Back