90 Min IPA Feedback...Partial Mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SamHain

Reaction score
Heres my second brew. Im going after a 90 Min Dogfish IPA taste with a hint of citrus, thats why I am dry hopping the cascade hops. All hops are pellets.

Hows it look? Thanks!

Malt Extract:
6# Extra Light DME

Grains:
½#Carapils
½# Crystal Malt
Steep at 155 for 30 mins

Hops:
Boil 90 mins
3 OZ Amarillo hops (90 min)
1 OZ Simcoe hops (90 min)
1 OZ Warrior hops (90 min)
1 tsp. Irish moss (15 min)
Wyeast 1099 yeast

5 Day dry hop in Primary:
1 oz Amarillo hops
0.5 oz Sincoe hops
0.5 oz Warrior hops
.05 oz of Cascade Hops

Steep grains at 155 for 30 mins. Fermenting and Dry Hopping in Primary Carboy at 68 degrees.

I'm too lazy to calc your OG, but assuming that's enough extract to get you to 1.085-1.088, that looks good. Drop the warrior from the dry hop. You won't get much character from it.

I'm too lazy to calc your OG, but assuming that's enough extract to get you to 1.085-1.088, that looks good. Drop the warrior from the dry hop. You won't get much character from it.

Thanks for the advice..I appreciate it!

It's a shame to see all that Amarillo wasted at 90. I REALLYYYYYYYY suggest only using Warrior here. It lacks the same aroma/flavor that Amarillo & Simcoe do.

I also agree that you're going way overboard on the 90 minute additions. You probably only need like 1 oz. or so - You will also probably need more DME for a high abv% beer.

Some more questions:

What's your boil size & batch size? What grade of crystal are you using? And why the Wyeast 1099?

PS - Ditch the carapils. You don't need it for an extract beer. Extract brewers do not have the same problems with body or head retention as all-grain brewers do.

It doesn't appear so. But if that's the case, I still suggest using Amarillo and Simcoe in the range of 20-15-10-0-DH.

Warrior can provide much of that clean bittering with little to no aroma when used early. Amarillo and Simcoe are a few of the cream of the crop hops extremely high in flavor/aroma. Such a shame to waste on bittering.

Guys, he's going to continually add the hops. They aren't all going in at 90 minutes.

Yeah Scottland is correct, I got lazy with my typing. I was going to evenly add the hops throughout....heres my schedule below...I was originally going to use additions of .75oz of Amarillo but I changed to .50oz. Am I that far off?

90 minutes: .50 oz Warrior

75 minutes: .25 oz Warrior

60 minutes :,25 Warrior

45 minutes: .25 Simcoe, .50 Amarillo

30 minutes: .25 Simcoe, .50 Amarillo

15 minutes: .25 Simcoe, .50 Amarillo
Irish moss 1 tsp

10 minutes: .25 Simcoe, .50 Amarillo

Dry Hop
1 oz Amarillo
.5 oz of Simcoe
.5 oz of Cascade, though I may not even need because of the Simcoe.

I also agree that you're going way overboard on the 90 minute additions. You probably only need like 1 oz. or so - You will also probably need more DME for a high abv% beer.
I agree...Probably going to go with 9#'s

Some more questions:

What's your boil size & batch size? What grade of crystal are you using? And why the Wyeast 1099?
2 gallon boil,5 Gallon batch...and I have no clue what grade Crystal. This is where my noobness shows. I just walk into my LHBS and ask for it. As for the yeast...again...its just what I have seen in a lot of recipes. I have been using WLP001 with happy results. I can use that.

PS - Ditch the carapils. You don't need it for an extract beer. Extract brewers do not have the same problems with body or head retention as all-grain brewers do.
My last brew I used the Carpalis and was pretty happy with the results. Thats why I figured that into the recipe. Note that this is a Partial Mash Brew. Id really like to get the same head and body in this brew. Though what do you suggest I use? Just the Crystal malt?

Again, for a beer that's 50 to 100% extract, you won't really need anything extra to provide head retention. Extract already contains a portion of cara- malts so body and head retention are not usually a problem for extract or partial mash brewers. Also, Carapils has no flavor to it unless you're using Muntons Caramalt (previously called Muntons Carapils) which is more akin to Crystal 10-15.

A fun fact many people aren't aware of ~ Dogfish Head 60 and 90 minute contain absolutely no Crystal malt. However, DFH is known for using wayyyy more malt in their beer than the average brewery. Most of their beers are a median of 8-10% abv.

For 90 minute, in addition to plenty of 2-row, I believe a portion of Amber malt (5-10%) is used for a touch of light roasty character. Also, the 2 gallon boil with 3 gallons of plain top off water is going to be a huge problem. You're essentially diluting the beer, so the quality of malt character will drastically suffer as well as hop utilization. Because of all this, 90 Minute is a difficult beer to replicate if you plan to brew via Extract, or a very small Partial Mash recipe...especially if not doing a full wort boil.

Much of this interview should help you:

http://www.brew-monkey.com/articles/interview.php?id=2

Extract already contains a portion of cara- malts so body and head retention are not usually a problem for extract or partial mash brewers.

Sorry, but that's untrue. Pale extract doesn't contain any portion of crystal malt. Extracts are known for not always fermenting out because the maltster may have mashed the extract at a higher temperature creating a more dextrinous wort. Kind of the same thing, but it doesn't 'contain' crystal malt.

A fun fact many people aren't aware of ~ Dogfish Head 60 and 90 minute contain absolutely no Crystal malt.

That's correct. They use Thomas Fawcett Amber malt in both.

For 90 minute, in addition to plenty of 2-row, I believe a portion of Amber malt (5-10%) is used for a touch of light roasty character. Also, the 2 gallon boil with 3 gallons of plain top off water is going to be a huge problem. You're essentially diluting the beer, so the quality of malt character will drastically suffer as well as hop utilization. Because of all this, 90 Minute is a difficult beer to replicate if you plan to brew via Extract, or a very small Partial Mash recipe...especially if not doing a full wort boil.

Yes, 90 minutes uses about 7-8% Amber malt. Yes, that's the ideal way to make it (check the 90 minute clone under my name).

With that said, let the guy brew it. He's obviously a new brewer, he wants to make something close to 90 minute, and he'll get close with the recipe he posted. He didn't start off with "I want to brew the closest possible clone to 90 minute that you've ever tasted"

12oz of Crystal 60 will get him close. No it won't be exact. If you really want it to be exact, Check my clone thread. Post #19, I gave a partial mash recipe. Use 1.25# Amber malt.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f69/dogfish-head-90-minute-clone-260675/

Sorry, but that's untrue. Pale extract doesn't contain any portion of crystal malt. Extracts are known for not always fermenting out because the maltster may have mashed the extract at a higher temperature creating a more dextrinous wort. Kind of the same thing, but it doesn't 'contain' crystal malt.

Actually, I said that extract (in this case pale DME) contains a portion of cara- malts.

Cara- malts can be anything from carapils to crystal 10 to crystal 60... Briess Golden Light DME contains a portion of carapils... hence a portion of cara- malts.

According to Briess' website, the Pilsen Light is 2.0L and contains pilsen malt and carapils while the Golden Light is 4.0L and contains 2-row and carapils.

With that said, let the guy brew it. He's obviously a new brewer, he wants to make something close to 90 minute, and he'll get close with the recipe he posted. He didn't start off with "I want to brew the closest possible clone to 90 minute that you've ever tasted"

12oz of Crystal 60 will get him close. No it won't be exact. If you really want it to be exact, Check my clone thread. Post #19, I gave a partial mash recipe. Use 1.25# Amber malt.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f69/dogfish-head-90-minute-clone-260675/
Yeah Im just looking to make something similar that I know I will like and I can call my own.

After checking out scottland's recipe I may use the Amber Malt. I think that will add a nice flavor.

How does my new hopping schedule look?

90 minutes: .50 oz Warrior

75 minutes: .25 oz Warrior

60 minutes :,25 Warrior

45 minutes: .25 Simcoe, .50 Amarillo

30 minutes: .25 Simcoe, .50 Amarillo

15 minutes: .25 Simcoe, .50 Amarillo
Irish moss 1 tsp

10 minutes: .25 Simcoe, .50 Amarillo

Dry Hop
1 oz Amarillo
.5 oz of Simcoe