Leftover glue residue in my bottles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bcgpete

Reaction score
I sanitized my batch's bottles before bottling today, but noticed about half-way through bottling that some of the them still had a slippery glue residue in the inside of them. I immediately panicked, but figured since the beer was in those bottles already and capped, I'd have to "charge it to the game" for them. For the rest, I carefully used a brush to clean out just the inside with StarSan and hot water, then dried and bottled the remaining half.

Has anyone else experienced this before? Specifically, having bottled beer with the glue residue. I'm not too worried about poison of any sort, but more so about the flavor of the conditioned beer. I've already marked the affected bottles and will perform my own tests, but I just wanted to get some feedback from you guys.

That is almost certainly precipitated yeast. If you put new beer on top of that then all bets are off--may be fine, may not. In the future make sure yer bottles are perfectly clean, which can be arduous but necessary.

I'd like to help, but can't for the life of me figure out how you got glue inside your bottles...and can tell???:confused:

Other than that, I clean mine wirth a bottle brush attached to my drill, rinse, and air dry on a bottle tree. Sanitize prior to filling. Really simple. ;)

we soaked the bottles in the bathtub in some sanitizer but didn't remove all the labels. some of the labels were the ones that come off cleanly (atlanta brewing company) so we could see the inside of the bottles and some had a residue on the inside. we think the sanitizer broke down some of the glue on the outside and got it inside from all the bottles soaking together. next time we'll just make sure we remove the labels completely.

Latest posts

Back